Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’ MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’

Yamaha has confirmed it does have a new seamless shift gearbox under development in Japan, but gave no indication of when reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi will race it. There has been some doubt about whether a seamless shift system was being worked on by Yamaha, with both Lorenzo and Rossi kept in the dark about development plans...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 16:15)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Sheene Fan7

Mar 03

Sheene Fan7 says:

@stonered

Casey jumped on the Honda that was already developed as he did with the ducati

if he had stayed any longer the Honda would have gone backwards like the duc did when he was there.

stoner just rides what he is given, he couldn't develop a cold

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

strange then

that the original version of the 2012 bike was so fast in testing, faster indeed than the 2013 bikes were in preseason testing this year.

To be honest I am not sure that there is hard evidence either way about stoner's development skills, but there isn't much doubt about rossi's, so why is it that he couldn't "develop" the ducati?  Strange also that valentino is apparently responsible for the success of the 2004 yamaha despite getting on it later than Stoner did with the 2007 ducati due to honda's intransigence, and also not responsible at all for the 2006 yamaha going backwards. As I recall rossi was also the fastest in early testing for the 2007 season, so stoner must be adept at gymnastics to have taken the ducati both forwards and backwards simultaneously.

Whichever way you want to cut it 23 wins on a ducati against factory honda and yamaha bikes is more than creditable.

I have also yet to see a bike race where they have lined up the bikes on the grid, a judge has inspected them and decided which is the best developed, called the winner and let everyone go home. The actual manufacturers' championship was won by honda last year in any case.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Sheenefan

You've been taking Wosi's trolling comments too seriously

But lets let your comment run for a while.

Back in 2004 Rossi jumped on a brand new Yamaha designed by Furuswawa. New engine and an improved chassis. Rossi first rode the bike in January and immediately went well on it and topped the timesheets more than once in pre-season tests (first time out I think) He was credited along with Burgess for developing it, despite never having ridden it before. Furusawa's name was never mentioned, he was given no credit at that time.

For 2007 Stoner joined Ducati. Unlike Rossi in 2004 he was nowhere near fastest in pre-season testing and barely figured in the top 5 at all. The Yams were topping most test sessions. So based upon test times no-one would have credited the GP7 with being the best bike - the Yamaha held that accolade. No-one even noticed the Stoner/Ducati pairing.

So if someone wanted to put a certain spin on things, you could say that Stoner worked with Ducati throughout the tests to improve the bike and come the first race had turned a mid-field runner based upon test times into something he could win on. Seeing as how Capirosi remained a mid-field runner.

If you were so inclinded that is.

I'm pretty sure that if it had been Rossi riding that GP7 throughout pre-season testing for 2007 and his performance in the tests and the first race had mirrored Stoner's, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the sort of spin you'd have seen on it and the headlines would have screamed Rossi does it again, develops another winner.

But it wasn't Rossi was it.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Wosi

I've no real interest in the MSMA stuff so I'll grant you without argument that your knowledge of that is greater than mine - but you weren't complaining back in 2001 - 2003.... But any fiercely driven person or body that is in a position to pull strings, use their influence, bully and manipulate to win success will do so. We've seen it many times with teams, individuals and riders / drivers. Honda are no different in that respect. That doesn't mean I like it or agree with it. But it's how things are.

I accepted (or realised) years ago that motorsport is very rarely a level playing field and usually, it takes some sort of advantage in addition to their skill for someone to stay on top. Which is why I don't get too hung up on who wins titles or races or care for 'greatest' labels. I remember in previous decades when number 2 drivers were pulled out of races to give their cars to the number 1 if he crashed his or it broke down. Not really fair in my opinion but the way it was.

Lorenzo may or may not be the best out there, it''s too difficult to choose. There was little between Lorenzo, Stoner and Pedrosa last year. I'm not too convinced Lorenzo has fully shed his dummy spitting after Jerez 2011 when he whined at Dovizioso for overtaking him too early in the race... The Honda and Yam both have their strengths and weaknesses but you honestly don't expect either Rossi or Lorenzo to say that the Honda riders have better technique than them for coming out of corners? Of course they'll blame the bike. I'm not saying for sure that it is down to the riders but Stoner, Pedrosa and Marquez are all more dynamic on the bike than Lorenzo or Rossi, so it's a possibility. Rossi has said he needs to change his style for exiting corners as things have changed.

MM is certainly a revelation with his speed but I've always maintained if they're fast they're fast and it takes these guys little time to adapt to a different bike. If that bike is a good one, which obviously the Honda is, there's no reason they shouldn't be fast on it. He's no way a rookie racer, so racing against the Motogp boys shouldn't faze him one bit, they're just bikes on track to be beaten, whatever the formula. I'm still interested to see his wet race form though, given his last two wet weather races last season.

No captain Pugwash for me, I'm just hoping Crutchlow can put in some decent results and also hoping Smith can get up to speed as his test times didn't look too clever, although difficult to know exactly what Tech3 had him doing.

Not long.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

bulto, when you say the Yamahas you of course mean Rossi. The next yam in 2004 was down in 7th(Chucker) some 200 points behind Rossi. On a purely statistical note, the second ducati in 2007(capirex) also finished 7th. Again 200 points behind Casey, however, there were 2 more races in 2007 so you could argue the ducati was a better bike than the Yamaha in your comparison...

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

hugelean

I think Rossi deserves particular credit for the 2004 championship and I suspect bultoboy wouldn't really disagree with me. The argument is about giving him credit on the Yamaha in 2004 yet denying it to Stoner on the Ducati in 2007.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Hugelean

If you took the time to read instead of scrabbling for the submit button every time Rossi's name comes up, you'd see I was talking about test times. For 2004, the giveaway is not too subtle clue hidden in the sentence:

Rossi first rode the bike in January and immediately went well on it and topped the timesheets more than once in pre-season tests (first time out I think)

In 2007 both Edwards and Rossi topped the timesheets in testing.

It was testing I was talking about.

Try and take the time to read and digest what people are saying before you stamp all over the keys with your size 12 yellow alpine stars.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

I think Rossi deserves particular credit for the 2004 championship and I suspect bultoboy wouldn't really disagree with me.

I don't. He took the bike they gave him and won on it.That's down to him beating the opposition. I've no argument with that at all.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Sorry Bulto I thought you were talking about bikes and riders and using the testing times to put your point across.. The fact that the bikes actual performances in the races beared zero resemblance to your theory seemed relevant at the time. Whilst we are on it Casey on the duke headed pre season in 2008. 2009 , 2010, and 2012(Honda) and yet didn't come close to winning any.Does that mean the duke was the best bike on the grid every season 'cept the one he won and he some how turned it into a pile of shit within a month.?? Honestly it's bollocks.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

You've still missed the point entirely - moreso if it were possible...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices