Skip to content

Discuss This Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’ MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Yamaha confirm new gearbox ‘under development’

Yamaha has confirmed it does have a new seamless shift gearbox under development in Japan, but gave no indication of when reigning world champion Jorge Lorenzo and Valentino Rossi will race it. There has been some doubt about whether a seamless shift system was being worked on by Yamaha, with both Lorenzo and Rossi kept in the dark about development plans...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 16:15)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

bluto

Your replies are so predictable and some of your statements are far from the truth.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Yes..like testing early 2004.

He was invariably 4th/5th behind the Hondas.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

Rossi was still struggling to set up the bike at the first race in South Africa. If I remember correctly they adjusted the ride height, seating position and had the back wheel as far back as it would go. 

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

as I said wosi

rossi deserves great credit for winning in 2004. The question is what is different about 2007 which means stoner deserves little or no credit according to you guys. Both of them took a new bike and won.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Gearbox smearbox

Just another lame arse yellow bellied excuse for Rossi's limp right wrist. Cope of load of Burgess;

http://moto-racing.speedtv.com/article/motogp-burgess-honda-gearbox-not-rocket-science/ 

Rossi's lack of pace is twofold - style, and in a beautifully perverse twist of fate, tyres. 

Rossi has been in essence the same smooth corner speed king style of rider since day dot. In many ways the 800's were the saviour of Rossi's career as this type of machine and tyre combo of the time favoured Rossi's style of riding. He may have dominated the hairy chested 990's but more through simply being head and shoulders the best rider of this era, than any real adaption of style to this new breed of bike.

Tyres. The softer sidewalled more feel inducing 2012 'stones brought in to assist Rossi's Ducati woes are biting him on the arse now he's back with Yamaha as both factory riders now complain of a lack of edge grip. 

It is for the reason of tyres that I feel the factory M1 boys will have their hands full this year. Lorenzo after all is merely a faster version of Rossi, although his ability to pick the bike up and drive was noticeably improved last year, he's not at the Pedrosa, or arguably even Marquez level here. The HRC boys work the bike more physically than the YMC guys to eke the very best from their machines. Until another variable changes this is the fastest way to get a bike around a track. That said, you cannot write off the animalistic metronome that is Jorge Lorenzo. 

The gearbox is little more than another yellow bellied herring.

Reply to this Topic
Bob Buttamasangy

Jul 08

To dispell a myth.

There is a lot of shit written about the time saved by the box. People simply think that the time difference can be added/subtracted to the lap to show the difference between seamless/non-seamless in a lap which is simply not true.

The time saved is ONLY for the amount of time they lose in accelaration, so extrapolating the simple formulae for acceleration of a=(V2-V1)/t, then the total difference is sweet fuck-all... and that is the official measurement! Also, Yamaha aren't running your standard R1 gearbox with a chinese quick shifter made from a roller door switch on the fucking gear lever, so stop playing with yourselves.

Swings and roundabouts, when Honda build a chassis that handles as sweet as the yamaha, then I might acknowledge that Soichiros boys build the best motGP bike!

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

2004 vs 2007..

I think there are a few differences..

The new 800 class - Ducati didn't play safe with the design of their engine. Honda and Yamaha under-estimated how much power the D-16 would produce, especially on full fuel in the race, where Marelli electronics helped Ducati sip at the new 21 litre fuel limit.

Comparitive competition -  2004, Yamaha had to beat the awesome RC211V and came from a position in 2003 where the Factory team had failed to score a single podium. 

The tyres. - There is little doubt Bridgestone shod bikes had the better rubber in 2007. All the top bikes 2004 ran Michelins and SNS tyres were not the sole preserve of Rossi.

Relative ongoing performance - The Ducati went backwards, and some would say is still in reverse, while the Yamaha went forwards from the point Rossi joined.

Stoner rode a great season as a virtual rookie 2007,but IMO..Rossi's legacy for Yamaha outstrips Stoners at Ducati by a fair margin. 

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

we definitely have different opinions then wosi

and that is what they are, opinions.

Stoner beat both honda and yamaha, who had won all but 1 of the last 13 championships with the other won by suzuki rather than ducati. I agree no-one else would have won in 2004 on a yamaha, but I don't believe anyone else would have won on the 2007 ducati either.

A better case imo can be made for ducati having a bike and tyre advantage in 2006, when loris capirossi despite being senile with his head done in won 3 races despite missing several races, and troy bayliss who much though I was a fan of his in wsbk never had never done anything in motogp winning a race as a wild card. The same loris capirossi was in no way competitive for the championship the following year.

Don't get me wrong, valentino wasn't out-ridden in the sense that neither he or anyone else imo could have ridden the 2007 yamaha any better to win the championship against stoner on that ducati. Maybe he could have won on the 2007 honda, but not, imo for which I probably have more evidence than you do including valentino's own statements re the ducati, on the 2007 ducati.   

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Rossi has said fk all about the GP7.

The 2007 Ducati was a different bike to the 2010/11 machine Rossi first rode AND was as quick as Stoner on..far more competitive, largely due tyres. Stoner ripped past on the straights and parked it in the corner..you think Rossi couldn't have done that?

It's like Nostro telling us all that picking a bike up to fire it out the corner is the most difficult skill on the planet..only serial loser Pedrosa has the required ability.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

we are not going to change each others opinions wosi

and I think I will give up on the rossi stoner thing when the racing starts this year, but you should listen to or read what rossi actually said which was not specific to the gp 10 and gp11, and surprisingly humble in regard to what stoner did on the ducati. I don't think this has anything to do with their relativity on other bikes, and I am sure valentino doesn't either and nor should he.

We both know your arguments concerning rossi being as fast as stoner on the ducati are sophistry, mainly involving picking races which stoner didn't finish whilst ignoring races rossi didn't finish, the numbers of which were fairly similar. Rossi by his own account tried to replicate stoner's method for making the thing go fast, rather than his method for finishing races, and couldn't, and from the start complained about the characteristics of the engine, which you have recently agreed needs a total re-design, and was quite likely a major contributor to the cornering problems, at the same time as providing a straight line advantage.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle