Skip to content

Discuss This Rossi and Lorenzo not surprised by Marquez’s winter pace MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Rossi and Lorenzo not surprised by Marquez’s winter pace

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Rossi and Lorenzo not surprised by Marquez’s winter pace

Factory Yamaha duo Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo have said they have not been surprised by Marc Marquez’s blistering speed during the pre-season testing campaign ahead of the Spaniard's first 2013 MotoGP world championship. The Repsol Honda rookie has impressed with a series of scintillating winter testing performances that included an impressive display during last week’s private HRC and Yamaha test...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 March 2013 17:03)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

That's a big claim..

..for a crustacean..

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Upside Downside

Upside is Marquez has the immediate speed. Downside he does not have GP1000 race experience. No doubt,he will be on top of that aspect rather rapidly. Downside for Dani,George and Valentino is they have no experience to draw on racing shoulder to shoulder with him. That is the province of Bradl.

Anyway,lets get through the Jerez test before jumping to pre season conclusions. George,Dani and the rest know a GP1000 at Jerez. Marc knows the bike and 9 days of Sepang testing plus the impressive Austin run which was breaking new ground for all four in question.

Pre-season testing does thus far suggest a George/Dani/Marc squabble with Valentino/Calvin/Stefan and Alvaro threatening to punish any slip ups. What of Ducati ? Yeah what ? Nothing much to add on that score.

Sandbagging ? I never did buy into that notion. This ain't 5 card straight poker. The timesheets, transponder data and camera views are out in the open. No benefit to the team,nor yourself as a racer to sandbag these days. Rossi is quickly getting to grips with his old love. Lorenzo is already there. Dani and Marc. ? Well. Marc is facing his inaugural year on the Honda. Like his predecessor,Stoner,he has shown to be blindingly fast with a very similar style. The difference is that Stoner made his entry on the 2nd string LCR with 3rd tier Michelin's back in 2006. With the full HRC Repsol backing Marc has first time up, he, with his prodigious tallent is potentially on course to re write record books. Youngest ever GP champion. Yes he can go one up on Freddie and Casey I reckon. Just needs to control any red mist inside the visor. He knows that,just needs to apply it.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Yep what Rossi needs is more experience of shoulder to shoulder racing....."cough". Can't see Marquez doing anything that Jorge and more so Rossi did in their first seasons, jorge was 4th in his first season and Rossi 2nd it'll be hard to top that especially if he was on a 500..... He's the real deal but a few ultra quick laps at a time with no pressure is one thing.. 18 races in motogp at the highest level is another thing altogether, even though each season the bikes invasion into rider territory means new talent always looks a little bit more competitive.. He'll be a real handful no question and will probably cause a few 'unecessary' incidents but expecting next year to be the real litmus test... ps give the second string LCR talk a rest will ya?? It finished second in the championship the season before with the same brand of tyres and patient zero(Ducati) it was a really competitive package. Ask Caseys chief engineer at the time, I think he's working with Jlo now and has recently spoken about it.. Casey still did a great job though no question...The importance of the change to BS tyres in his career can never be overstated.. The miches worked fine that year for everyone else..

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Hugs...

"It finished second in the championship the season before"

With how many points?... 220?... Melandri scored 228 on another satellite Honda in 2006 & only came 4th... behind a Ducati!

220 points... hmmm... isn't that the same as Stoner got on the bag of shit CF Ducati in 2009?... (& yes, it crashed more than the bag-of-shit 2009 Ducati that in your words wasn't a championship contender)... 5 points less than the 2010 bag of shit Ducati?... "it was a really competitive package"... quite some bike that 2005 satellite Honda!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Hugs misses a simple point

Admittedly Rossi is the past master of shoulder to shoulder fairing bashing. Gibernau can attest to that as can old Max and a host of others that have been subjected to his ginsu knives.

The point I'm trying to make is that Marc is an unknown quantity in terms of immediate response within the experienced group he has already positioned himself amongst. They have no on track reference point regarding him outside of collected media data.

When your pit board tells you #4 is closing, most of them generally know what to expect. An extremely late braking challenge. When the board says #93 closing,neither Rossi,Dani nor George know what to expect. Granted,Rossi was smart enough to pick up some clues at Sepang. There mini race and blah.

Reply to this Topic
saturn392

Nov 03

saturn392 says:

On the money there Bootsie -  The thing is with Marquez he's come through from 125's and Moto2 so he'll know all the tracks well enough.    What he'll need to do is calm his youthful exuberance and desire to win every race ..... can he do it ? .......... your guess is as good as mine.  Kamikazi passes are the territory of young guns wanting to impress.  No doubt a few feathers will be ruffled.

Reply to this Topic
CH987

May 09

CH987 says:

The thing is, how many races have been decided by shoulder to shoulder fairing bashing recently? How often do we even get close racing? Marquez has the pace, and even with his youthful exuberance has already won 2 world championships. The Honda also looks to still have an advantage over the Yamaha. I think that he has a realistic chance at the title this year and his main contender will be his teammate on maybe his last chance.

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

hedgey it's becoming a bit of a habit with you. Arguing that 2nd isn't 2nd I can confimr that it is, my logic is undeniable, no matter the scenario and so is 8th which, coincidentally, is where Casey finished the very next season with 119 points on the same but slightly improved kit with tyres that 'did' finish 1st, 2nd ,3rd in the title.. Surely a crazy stat nut job like yourself can appreciate those apples.??

Reply to this Topic
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

bootsie , they won't see marquez coming? or they won't see Marquez coming?, knowing a riders mo is common practice at this level, but it's not the same as knowing when he's going to throw his bike at you in the heat of the moment...Though you can be aware that he has a reputation for extreme wrecklessness. Avoid Marquez is probably high on everyone's agenda this season..certainly at the front end of the grid, though I suspect being lapped by him could be quite dangerous as well..

Reply to this Topic
carloslavado

Jan 11

carloslavado says:

Sure it's raining in Jerez at the test today? But Ianone is kicking ass in 4th! Definatly the rider i will be supporting this season, proper rider IMO. I reckon he will give Dovi, Ben and Nicky a really hard time for top Duc spot! Go Maniac Joe.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices