You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Reboring/Replating

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Deacz9

Dec 09

Deacz9 says:

Reboring/Replating

I have a Suz Dr350 1997. Needs a piston and rebore.
I have sourced a piston kit made by Wiseco supplying oversized piston. The supplier insists that I must have the cylinder replated after reboring/honing. Someone else tells me the DR does not have plated cylinder and should be ok with just the rebore as is steel cylinder. Could this only be because the wiseco would be different from OEM piston?  Very confused and living in Cambodia where a rebore could be done but replating would mean bringing barrel back to UK later this year.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 March 2013 05:06)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Suzuki DR 350 1997

Hi Deacz9

Your bike has a steel liner,not a plated bore,so it can be rebored and can't be plated.You need to examine the cylinder liner to see if it is worn,a good indication is if the is any kind of a lip at the top where the piston tops out.If there is or any severe deep scoring this would be another reason to rebore,you probably don't have any inside micrometers?so i wont bother you with that,but you can take a piston ring off place it in the cylinder bore at the top,bottom and middle and measure the gap difference to tell if its out of factory spec.If its not,and you find its still in within spec you can hone the bore and fit a standard spec piston and rings,if it does need a rebore it is best to have this done and the piston purchased at the same time so it is matched to the new rebore.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

PS have this :smile    http://dr350.bnet.hu/hu/system/files/350cc%20(DR350SEX%20SK42A%201994-1999).pdf

Reply to this Topic
Deacz9

Dec 09

Deacz9 says:

Reboring/replating

Thanks, there is quite a bit of piston slap and uses lots of oil.
The supplier on ebay told me (twice now) it will need replate quote"

Graham,

You really need to get it replated or the cylinder will eat the rings for the piston.  I can get you into a piston kit and a gasket kit separate.  It would be pretty close as far as pricing goes.  I would find out if you can get replating done before ordering.  Thanks and please let me know what you come up with.

Rocky
Jawzy's Powersports
9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Eastern time
Office: 330.952.2445
On 3/18/2013 12:07 AM, eBay Member: deacz9 wrote:
Dear jawzys-uk,

Hi Rocky,
Would it make an awful difference if I did not have the cylinder replated. I know they do rebores ok here and maybe honing but plating, not quite reached Cambodia yet. There is a place in Phnom Penh that does Chroming but not great quality.
Also if that kit out of stock, which ones do you have, with the gaskets? I believe the stock bore is 79mm so i could go 80 or 82mm.
Regards, Graham"quote

Also the Wiseco site tells me this on their website. Is it only the wiseco piston that would need it and not a OEM piston? Very confused!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Ah

just found this manual,gives more rebuild measurements than the other one:smile

http://www.ramsete.com/Public/Manuals-Yamaha-Suzuki/Manual-de-Mantenimiento-Clymer-Suzuki-DR-350-Ingles.pdf

Get into it,flat out like a lizard drinkin

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices