Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Keeping a bike clean General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Keeping a bike clean

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Keeping a bike clean

"I am new to biking and I want to keep my machine in good condition but my chain is already looking worse for wear. Everyone seems to be giving me different advice on how to keep it clean such as: WD-40, paraffin, engine oil, cleaners, specific chain lubes and Scottoiler. What works best?" Your answer could help. The best will be...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 March 2013 15:52)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Chain -

buy a packet of those cheap supermarket sponge/scourers and a can of WD40.  Using the rougher side of the sponge, spray on plenty of WD40 and whizz round your chain to get the worst of the crud off.  Then WD40 the softer side of the sponge and whizz round your chain again.  Have a quick coffee while it dries, then put some gear-oil on a second sponge and whizz round your chain a final time to lube it.  Spend extra on spray-on dry chain lube if you want to but there's not much extra benefit for the cost involved.

I do about 18k miles a year, year round, and the above works well enough for me,  My chain & sprockets usually last 20-25k miles.  If you want to keep them looking like new, be prepared to sacrifice the enjoyment of riding time for cleaning time!

Rest of the bike - bucket, sponge, Fairy Liquid.  Some say the salt in washing-up liquid is bad for the bike, but I've alway found it does a better job than 'dedicated' bike/car shampoos with no discernable down-side.  A packet of Flash-Wipes brings up the plastics better than anything else I've ever tried.  Sit back, admire your handiwork, then go out and ride and get it filthy again  :)

Reply to this Topic
robodoc

Feb 13

robodoc says:

keeping a bike clean

There are probably as many answers to this as there are bikers who bother to clean their bikes: You could easily spend longer cleaning it than riding it and getting it dirty, indeed I suspect some people do, but what a waste that would be. The bottom line is that you must keep the chain fairly clean and fairly well lubricated and you should rinse off road salt fairly quickly. Beyond that is up to you, your budget and your time. As for what to use, pick a product, try it and see if it works for you. Try another - see if it works better. Just be careful with power hoses and what you get on your brake pads!

Reply to this Topic
alex819

Mar 12

alex819 says:

just get some chain degreaser grab a rag and rub up and down the chain untill you get all the crap off it, do it part at a time dont try and get it all at once, will take a while but mine always looks great after good luck

Reply to this Topic
alex819

Mar 12

alex819 says:

just get some chain degreaser grab a rag and rub up and down the chain untill you get all the crap off it, do it part at a time dont try and get it all at once, will take a while but mine always looks great after good luck

Reply to this Topic
alex819

Mar 12

alex819 says:

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

Paraffin

I bought 5 litres of it like a year ago and since I do high miles I've used it alot and always made my 600RR chain sparkle...it's cheap it does the job and it eats chain lube like it's hungry, scottoiler doesn't clean a chain it lubes it but if you keep on top of it yourself then you don't need that lazy man way...

Reply to this Topic
mercymercyred

Jan 10

sundayroast

Sundayroast has got it right, way too much flaffing about and fancy products to waste money on. Just hose it down after each mucky ride if the chain looks a bit dry just squirt some lube on. I got 17000 miles out of my last chain on a cbr600. I do like a nice clean bike though Mild car shampoo, Mr Sheen and a good cold hose down then a bit of ACF50 takes minutes

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Best is...

Shaft drive.

Chains should be consigned to history.

Shaft drive is far superior for road use.

Reply to this Topic
justaname

Feb 13

justaname says:

Grandad's top tip

Buy some cheap engine and a small stiff brush, use the oil as a cleaning agent and brush all the gunk off, then use quality oil or lube, to leave on the chain, obviously its up to you how often you do this, but i'd suggest once a week maybe once a fortnight. My thinking is, if your going to cover something in oil, may as well use oil to clean it, no worrying about solvents caroding rubber etc. Alternatively "boil the bugger in hot water then dip it in oil,its a machine, its dirty, thats part of the fun" grandad reckons.

Reply to this Topic
justaname

Feb 13

justaname says:

correction*

cheap engine OIL* not a cheap engine, you knew what i meant, unless you read this post before my first post. AAHHH whatever.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices