Skip to content

Discuss This Would you listen to music while riding to alleviate the boredom? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Would you listen to music while riding to alleviate the boredom?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Would you listen to music while riding to alleviate the boredom?

Sometimes, long distance riding can become a little mind numbing, and a little music relieves the boredom. But many claim that music removes you from your surroundings and increased danger tenfold. Would you listen to music through earphones to alleviate the boredom?  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (25 March 2013 16:02)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

satnav

listening to music would distract you but having a conversation with your wife on an intercom is fine, ha ha, fucking brilliant!!!! 

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

Seems like an odd question to me.  Surely not being boring is the entire purpose of bikes.  I could understand it if we were all doing 55mph on 500-mile, straight, smooth roads, but we're not in Texas!  Here in the UK, even on the motorway I find I get more than enough mental stimulation just avoiding being killed by clueless idiots.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

bryfor59!

Music would be playing all the time, my wife doesn't talk all the time!

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

satnav

your so lucky mate, my wife never fucking shuts up!!!!! ha ha!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

When going away

Always when loaded up going away with the lads

Sunday blasts no way to many dickheads just come out of church or the fucking pub or both.

Reply to this Topic
DJSP2ROCKS

Feb 09

DJSP2ROCKS says:

I use my bike virtually every day, in all weathers. My journeys vary from my short daily commute to work to regular Sunday blasts as well as regular trips from Suffolk to Manchester with my girlfriend as pillion. In the 4/5 years Ive had my bike licence Ive done near 50'000 miles, on the motorway I'll almost always have music playing although generally just loud enough to hear. Any other journey and I don't bother - I want to hear the noise my motor makes, especially on rideouts/a-road blats. Personally I believe music in the background has no bearing on my observational skills/safety.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

Nah,

never.  When some spare knocks me off my bike, I don't want to give them or the OB any excuse to apportion any liability in my direction. 

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

Hell no

If you don't like the sound of your bike you should find something else, or a new exhaust, or something!

Reply to this Topic
Darowyn

Mar 05

Darowyn says:

I do use earphones on long motorway runs. It's not to hide the sound of the engine, or even to keep the wind out of my ears, it's to prevent my mind wandering. Riding takes a lot of concentration, but only uses a few parts of my brain. Music adds a predictable pattern that keeps the rest of it from becoming bored and finding something unrelated to think about. One musicless night ride up the M1-M6 motorways, I found myself calculating whether the wheel rims or the pistons travelled the greatest linear distance during the ride. That was distracting to the extent that by the time I next looked at the speedo it was showing three figures. Apart from the well known problem of riding faster if the music style veers towards the Rock/Metal style, I feel that I'm riding better and more aware of what is happening around me with music playing gently. Cheers Dave

Reply to this Topic
Feakster

Mar 10

Feakster says:

Yup

Journeys over 10 mins = definitely. If anything, humming along to my engine on the M5 will only serve to send me to sleep. I really don't see the big issue here. It just comes down to personal preference, in exactly the same way as deciding whether or not to listen to the stereo in a car does.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices