You are in... Forums > General > General > End of an era

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

End of an era

RAF and RN search and rescue privatised. An American company has the contract from 2015. so how do you make a profit from saving lives ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2299164/Prince-Williams-search-rescue-chopper-teams-snapped-U-S-1-6bn-deal.html 

The thin end of the wedge, initially the aircrew will be predominately ex military but as they reach their retirement age who will replace them ? Bristow company men perhaps, civilian trained without the ethos of the military, there is a difference.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (26 March 2013 13:24)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

When lockheed-martin

(the weapons manufacturer) in the US "bought" Michigan's welfare-to-work program; they found they could make poor people work two full-time jobs in different parts of the city and still not give them minimum wage. No one could leave the program becuase the program got all the entry-level jobs wrapped up.

They'll take the money for the RAF/RNS&R, destroy all the existing employment contracts and rights, cut back to a skeleton staff and start using them in new ways that they can profit from. When it all goes wrong, they'll abandon it after stripping all the assets or qualify for some huge bailout (in which case they'll repeat all the above).

Ironic that the ideology that talks most about freedom and liberty is the one that sells us all into corporate slavery. All they have to do is make us scared of everything not within our immediate vicinity and keep us distracted by buying products to alleviate this fear.

Orwell was right; but Marx should have realised that consumption, not religion, would be the opiate of the masses.

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

Profit from saving lives

It's easy when the making profit is more important than the life saving...The NHS is a good example of this.

Whatever next? Wealthy people profiting from the light and heat we need to survive? The privileged   few profiting from the energy and communications infrastructure that the tax payer funded? Nah...it could never happen.

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

^^^^^^^^^^^^+1

:upset:

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

The first attempt

at getting the contract they wanted to drop SAR to 12 hours only no night cover but it had to go back to the drawing board and the contract as it stands is for 24 hours cover, it starts in 2015 so there's 2 years to water things down. They'll be using the Sikorsky S-92 all singing and dancing AMERICAN helicopter (but then the Seaking is a British version of a Sikorsky) and an  Augusta Westland built machine. They're saying that with dropping the SAR units from 12 to 10 they can give better cover than is now being provided, that remains to be seen.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You

can not improve cover by dropping units. Simple as. It's bullshit. You might be able to cover all the areas but once you get two rescues at the extremes of range then you're shafted.

I read about this - it's going to be an absolute farce. There are some things which should NOT be privatised. There is an American computer company getting a contract to do some care work in Wales. They have no social welfare experience and they're a computer company... I'm sure they'll have a fantastic database of everyone on their books but that's about it.

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

SAR is leaving RNAS Culdrose

the current unit is 771 Sqn it's operating area is the English channel and the Western approaches. Where is the logic in having the civilian unit  that will be covering that operating area at the other side of the peninsula at RMB Chivenor ? further to fly ffs.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Privatised SAR

It's f*cking outrageous. 

Stick all the cabinet members in the middle of the North sea in a storm and hole their boat.  I wonder how fast that would change government policy?  

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

It's on our local BBC news Southwest

now, a correction to how I read it, SAR cover from Culdrose, Chivenor and Portland will go and ALL will be covered from Newquay airport. FFS ! all that cover gone, they're claiming the new aircraft will do it all, if you look at the physical aspects of the Seaking compared to the smaller new ones it's madness, there's a lot of unhappy seafarers in the Southwest.

Edit: if I were a trawlerman 200 miles out into the Western approaches in a force 10 in the shit I know what I'd prefer to be coming to get me. The feckin ace of spades ! Clubs even :laugh:

http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/SeaKing/Images/6240.jpg 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle