Skip to content

Discuss This Aggressive riding clampdown won't hurt MotoGP MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Aggressive riding clampdown won't hurt MotoGP

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Aggressive riding clampdown won't hurt MotoGP

A new penalty points system to clampdown on dangerous and aggressive riding across all three classes in the MotoGP world championship in 2013 won’t make the likes of Valentino Rossi or Cal Crutchlow think twice about making risky overtakes. That’s the opinion of Crutchlow’s Monster Yamaha Tech 3 team boss Herve Poncharal ahead of the new season, which will see a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (27 March 2013 13:46)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

everybody knows

.....it's francogp

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

aggressive riding

I think no way was laguna seca 2008 sanctionable, the corkscrew incident was a miraculous save from a near-lose, not a deliberate attempted torpedo, not so sure about the jerez last corner thing.

No matter how fast marquez is, some of his incidents particularly in practice are beyond the pale imo, especially the wilairot one. If riders as young as him can't be expected to refrain from such things perhaps they should raise the minimum age at which riders can compete. Perhaps points sanctions are being introduced because starting at the back of the grid does not work as a sanction. Correct me if I am wrong fat rat, but your argument on marquez's previous sanctioning seems to be along the lines that he shouldn't be sanctioned for dangerous riding by putting him at the back of the grid because he will ride dangerously.

The superbike planet article demonstrates that mcn have a long way to descend should they wish to match superbike planet for gutter journalism.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

I am definitely

not bald fat rat.

I think marquez is a brilliant rider and don't as a rule have much problem with his riding in actual races, but the Wilairot thing was reckless and pointless more to the point, as was the time he torpedoed another rider in practice.

Dorna may very well be changing to points sanctions because  back of the grid penalties have not been working, which was partly my point. I think back of the grid penalties might be more effective even against MM though in the premier class where there are several other rider/bike combinations who have, or appear to have at present anyway, MM level pace.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

wilairot

Of course he didn't deliberately crash into wilairot, that is not the point. He did try to complete a full pace lap when there was not time for him to do so, hence wilairot having the reasonable expectation he could slow down on the racing line or elsewhere and not get crashed into at high speed by a rider travelling too fast to avoid him. As I said this was imo and that of the stewards reckless and careless on MM's part, and pointless as well since the potential gain for him would appear to have been small.

Reply to this Topic
wosihound

Jul 12

wosihound says:

Let's have a meeting..

You get 3pts for a minor speeding offence..

..6pts for breaking the limit by 30mph..8pts for no insurance..banned for 12 months for 3 glasses of beer..24 months for twice the limit..etc.

Reasonably clear examples of what you can expect if you're a bad lad.

So where are the guide lines for riders?

If you T-bone someone off the start..take their front wheel away..cruise on the racing line..punch another rider?

We've got the points but don't know what certain offences are worth?

It's all subjective under the auspices of race direction behind closed doors again? What's the fkin point..nothing has changed?

A typically European solution to a problem that doesn't need addressing..over complicated bureaucratic bullshit.

Weakness and inconsistency brought this about..I don't expect anything to change.

Let 'em sort it out themselves behind the bikesheds..

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

... & another thing...

I was going to say that Wosi but assumed that there was a list of offences/points somewhere... maybe not... & as you say, many things are subjective which some riders will walk away from chuckling to themselves where others will be hit with 5 points. There probably is a scale of points & offences but they'll never publish it for fear it'll reveal the extent of their bias... which we already pretty much know.

Another problem I have with this system is... it would appear you can pull an illegal move in a race & the result still stands... you carry points over to the next race but you still beat the guy who played by the rules... then you can do it again next race... until you get near to the points limit.

If LS '08 had been F1 or WSB it may or may not have incurred a drive through penalty... if it had been seen as illegal in this new system it would incur points but the guy who was wrongfully overtaken isn't compensated. The guy who did the overtake keeps his place.

Basically it's encouraging riders to act like tossers (not that some need much encouragement) especially, as I said earlier, towards the end of the season if their cards are clean.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

Need to stop being pussies, get rid of the electronics and just let them race without stupid F1 like rules.

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

proballs

are for the race, not practice, and certainly not for when practice is over.

Reply to this Topic
Patsfalco

Sep 12

Patsfalco says:

I thought they had rules...

The likes of Simoncelli's ride through at Le mans is surely the way to go. This proposed way will just be a courtroom 'drama' and nothing will change. Marquez definitely deserved more meaningful punishment for various moves lastt year, and the sport has to protect itself against reckless moves that could cause a fatality.

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

even if its not fair

There really should be two tiers in the way rules are implemented IMO. For example if dani and jorge have a coming together its different than if someone like barbara tries an impossible pass on dani( ala misano). The rules should be softer on riders with the same skill and harsher on the backmarkers who dont have the talent to pull a particular move off, and end up influencing the outcome of the championship. The rossi move at laguna...if you watch the race, on the way up the hill just before that moment, casey made a really hard pass on rossi and intentionally hit his fairing on the way by...everyone seems to forget that and views rossis pass as the instigating rather than the payback move. I think the rules should take into account the rider and whether or not they have the ability to pull off a given move and judge accordingly. Barbaras move on dani had a very low chance of success, whereas the big 4 would have a much better chance. All riders are not equal and its insane to allow pylons to ruin the championship contenders chances. Bautista also should have been punished for his suicide move on jorge. Luckily for jorge casey chocked the very next race so it didnt matter, but barbara single handedly ruined what could have been the most exciting season of perhaps all time. Just my opinion....

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle