Skip to content

Discuss This Kevin Schwantz: Ben Spies can bounce back at Ducati MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Kevin Schwantz: Ben Spies can bounce back at Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Kevin Schwantz: Ben Spies can bounce back at Ducati

American legend Kevin Schwantz has backed fellow Texan Ben Spies to bounce back from a nightmare 2012 when the new MotoGP season kicks off in Qatar next weekend. The triple AMA Superbike champion endured a rotten second year on Yamaha’s factory YZR-M1 after a combination of bad luck and unforced errors left him 10th in the overall rankings and without a...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 March 2013 11:54)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

agreed...

And that Mr Sheene, is not a bad thing for his sanity and the fans.  He'll do alright with the pressure off and the Circus far away.  If he just wants to race, he'll have a great time and am sure he'll be snapped up - probably by BMW.  I hope he does the right thing (for himself).

Reply to this Topic
Bootlegger

Aug 11

Bootlegger says:

Slow down

Don't expect much from Spies until mid season if at all. He's got he same deal as Rossi had back in 2011. What was that again? My shoulder and the bike. The Rossi faithfull stuck by their rider for a further season and it turns out based on the Yamaha switch and the Jerez test they were justified.

There is a good take on the topic of Spies/Ducati with Paulo Ciabatti at 2wheelsblog.com.

Like Rossi,Spies hasn't suddenly forgotten how to ride. He just needs to string together a number of solid incident free race weekends and get his mojo back. I'm not suggesting he will break alien turf ever as I once did,but he is the equal of anyone in that 'almost there' 2nd group.

Reply to this Topic
moto4

Oct 12

moto4 says:

CCB

Spies not even in the same league as Dovi? WTF are you basing that on? Are you suggesting that if Ben had three years as Honda Factory rider he would have only manage 1 win, given he (almost) managed 2 in two years with Yamaha factory... Regardless, there is more to a rider than wins but I think Spies has earned the right not be laughed at for not being in the same league as the decidedly second group, at best, Dovi. One poor season, particularly as he must've been aware of Yamaha's devotion to Lorenzo and their manouvering to re-hire Rossi, probably had damaging effects on his mental state does not wipe out all former accomplishments otherwise Rossi haters would be correct. Couple that with how difficult it must be teamed with a rider as metronomic as Jorge and the incontrovertible bad luck re manufacturing failures of swing arm/tyres etc and there is every reason to excuse JUST ONE poor season does not take away from former accomplishments. If it did Rossi would not be back where he is (and should've stayed). Cut him some slack!

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

I really thought Ben would have broken into the top 5. If he couldn't do it on a factory Yamaha, I doubt he'll do it on a Ducrapi.

Reply to this Topic
yzrm1

Jan 11

yzrm1 says:

Kevin Schwantz: Ben Spies can't bounce back at Ducati. i think kevin schwantz is right. it will never happen. should have moved to wsbk again were Ben can shine again

Reply to this Topic
carcleanerboy

Jul 10

moto4

Spies was hailed as the next big thing in GP's , his first seasons results hailed as never been seen before and proof he would reach alien status the second he threw his leg over the factory bike.

I pointed out His record equalled that of Dovi and whilst good wasnt a garauntee  of future success. and so its turned out. Dovi is the only rider outside the Alien group to regularly podium, break up their dominance every season.

sorry but results say he is a far superior rider than Ben Spies, and all those who try claim different at blinkered.

Reply to this Topic
grayzx7r

Aug 02

grayzx7r says:

Right

BOUNCE is the right word........on the Tarmac !!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Ahh Moto 4...

Sorry mate, I'm with CCB. It's a different comparison to Rossi. Both Dovi and Cal outperformed Spies on an inferior machine whilst Ben had the exact same bike that Lorenzo won the WC on. He has the talent to ride it hard (WSB and AMA proved that) so was it all in his head? Heck, the Ducati's were coming past him last year. His first season was quite impressive and the hype was almost justified... however a combination of the factory rider expectations (and the Japanese are hard taskmasters - admirable in my book), the motoGP circus and his inability (coupled with his moms PR skills) to market himself correctly (maybe he was taking tips from 27?) contributed to the dismal season. Granted, he did just shut up and put up each round - so fair play. Everyone has bad luck (Barbera probably cost Dani the title last year)... Ben's a nice guy and it would be good to see him ride the tails of the top 4 in a few races, but other than Assen I don't think we'll see it bud. Still, let's see what happens. either way, this season should be one of the hotly contested for a few years. Let's crack open a Stella and enjoy the action. It's easy to be an armchair critic, but we are not the heroes like every man on that grid.

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

where is Elbowz when you need him/her?

i keep hearing about Spies and his World Championship season - it was an excellent 2009 for him (yes, four years ago already), but hardly anyone also records that old man Haga only came second by 4 points, and on the Ducati.  i've never really got the Spies hero-worship myself, mainly because of his personality (or lack of it) and the rather more recent poor habit of washing his dirty laundry online.  he's had his chance on arguably the best bike on the grid and, on the whole, blown it.  another mediocre season in MotoGP and i reckon it's back to production bike racing in 2014 for no. 11.

Kevin should perhaps concentrate on his working relationship with COTA in the meantime ....

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

spies

Is a great rider...something strange happened to him. The blow to head in preseason(sepang) seemed to really rattle him. And for the first race he rode with a broken frame which they didnt know about until after the race...when he complained during practice yamaha basically told him to suck it up...they didnt believe there was any thing wrong with the bike. Perhaps his mother pissed yamaha off too much as ben did not seem to get the moral support or equipment support that jorge got. The number of equipment problems he had compared to jorges none was shocking...cracked frame, tire spinning on wheel, brake issues, engine breakdown. Was told not to show up for laguna if he wasnt going to givver hell; then his engine breaks. I think yamaha made no secret about replacing him...i think most of us fans realized something was up when rossi attended ago's birthday at mugello in the yamaha garage. There is no question spies head was messed up last year; you dont lose talent that quickly. I think the concussion in testing followed by the broken frame in quatar rocked his confidence. And his mother was probably too" american" for the japanese....demanding star treatment for her boy when he wasnt backing it up with performances. Now he has a nasty shoulder injury and he is trying to ride a difficult bike. Thats not going to help. Hopefully he will heal soon and without factory pressure( although everyone knows how sympathetic ducati can be eh marco) if he just stays calm he will be fine. He needs to remember what he loves about racing.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices