Skip to content

Discuss This Motorcyclists not to blame in most accidents General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Motorcyclists not to blame in most accidents

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Motorcyclists not to blame in most accidents

New data from more than 1600 motorcycle accident last year have shown 80% of accidents were caused by other road users; a fact that flies in the face of controversial BBC programme ‘How Safe are Britain’s Roads?’ shown last year. The BBC show claimed ‘loss of control on a bend’ was the main cause of motorcycle accidents but of the 1679...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 March 2013 14:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Great to see the truth we all suspected all the time. How about a public retraction by the BBC? Don't hold your breath waiting for that!

Reply to this Topic
wesley01

Feb 10

wesley01 says:

No chance

Hell I could have said so! I am an emergency care assistant and driving a great big merc ambulance that weighs 4.5 tonnes and is yellow with sirens and flashing blue lights. Low and behold car drivers still dont even know I am there, so there is little to no hope with their observations or hearing!

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Insurers vs Pravda?

I'd go ahead and assume they're both full of it.

Reply to this Topic
OrangeTigerXC

Apr 12

BBC fabrications plc

I think we all knew this all along, I remember swearing at the TV when I watched that programme, but I gave up all hope of getting any truthfull stories from the BBC years ago.

If theres ever a story about a subject that anyone knows anything about, it soon becomes clear that the BBC tend to fabricate most of their stories. I suppose it's cheaper than paying researchers!

Reply to this Topic
superbol

Aug 02

superbol says:

wesley01

You`re bang on the button there sir .Only this morning I was out with pupil and in distance oncoming was a ambulance blues n 2s behind a grade A twat going along in a world of his own .I flashed headlights pointed like hell dickhead was totally oblivious and even car a distance flashed aswell .

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

Hardly suprising that the beeb's "research" is shown to be dodgy.

However, being able to lay the blame at someone else's door, doesn't make an accident hurt any less.

There's a huge amount we can do to avoid the myopic muppets. Ride safe folks.

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics

From you figures 19% are single vehicle accidents, which usually means it's your fault (Mud on the road, collision with Deer etc etc I know but it doesn't give that info here. So 19% definitely the Riders fault. Of the remaining 81% it says that in 44% action was taken against the other party to recover losses. So that means in 56% of the accidents it was either shared liability (knock for knock)or the riders fault. So 56% of 81% is 45% add the initial 19% and you get 64% So in 64% of accidents the riders was fully or partly responsible. This would fit with the Riders mostly responsible. Would you like to explain where you get you 80% from?

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

FellRaven!

The 56% you are attributing to bikers is supposition on your part as you don't know the details. There could be many reasons for not being able to make a claim such as the lack of evidence in a case on here recently. I'm sure that if what you say is the truth, the insurance people would pounce on us for higher premiums as I'm sure they won't have favourites, just a good reason to hammer people for their standard of driving/riding.Whose side are you on anyway?

Reply to this Topic
FellRaven

Apr 10

FellRaven says:

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics

Hi SatNavSteve and just pointing out how poorly researched the article is. I think we would all except that there are some bikers who will never accept they were at all responsible for an accident. I live in Devon near the A377 and there have been many bank holiday accidents involving bikers mis-judging the corners or their abilities. The same is true of car drivers but taking a holier than thou position will not improve the situation.

Reply to this Topic
domster

Sep 12

domster says:

Steve

Put me on the 'side' of responsible attentive road users. It's not an 'accident' when an operator of any vehicle crashes into another but the result of errors of judgement by both parties. Ride to live etc...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices