Skip to content

Discuss This Motorcyclists not to blame in most accidents General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Motorcyclists not to blame in most accidents

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Motorcyclists not to blame in most accidents

New data from more than 1600 motorcycle accident last year have shown 80% of accidents were caused by other road users; a fact that flies in the face of controversial BBC programme ‘How Safe are Britain’s Roads?’ shown last year. The BBC show claimed ‘loss of control on a bend’ was the main cause of motorcycle accidents but of the 1679...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 March 2013 14:46)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Well guys, if I was going to believe anyone as to who is responsible in accidents, it would be the insurers who have all the details and not some unconnected person making guesses, unless of course, you work in the insurance industry. When you say the article is poorly researched, do you mean by MCN or the quoted insurance spokesman? I'm sure we don't need to know every detail of every accident to be convinced that what they say is the truth. Insurance companies have a vested interest in knowing who is at fault in accidents so that they can adjust the premiums according to risk. I'm sure we aren't going to see faultless bikers involved in accidents jumping up and shouting 'No, blame me please'. And Domster, correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying that both parties in an accident are at fault every time because I've read your comment a few times and thats what it sounds like.

Reply to this Topic
HOSBUSA

Sep 09

HOSBUSA says:

1st of all I hate the BBC.

Now thats out the way, is anyone surprised the biased and bigoted BBC made up a tabloid style news tale about bikers?  The Biased against Bikers Corporation aka state owned media?

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Confession time

I watched the programme.

My thoughts were that it made valid points and the general sentiment was spot-on.

So confession time...

I have had a number of collisions with other vehicles including a nasty smidsy and have also "lost control on a bend" several times.

If I'm being perfectly honest 100% of these collisions were either entirely or mostly my fault, even the smidsy.

I have never once had a collision which was entirely someone else's fault.

If all motorcyclists (and MCN) were similarly honest with themselves there would be a squadron of pigs in the air.

Reply to this Topic
WindyMiller75

Sep 11

Wait, What?

"81% [...] involved another vehicle"

"80% [...] caused by other road users"

So, in almost 99% of all incidents involving both a motorbike and another road user, the other road user caused the incident? Really?

Reply to this Topic
threlly

Oct 08

threlly says:

Accidents and the BBC

lets just agree the BBC is the goverments propaganda channel for whatever crap they want you to believe.

Reply to this Topic
aaustin2911

May 10

aaustin2911 says:

BBC - Bulls**t Broadcasting Coporation

Maybe Jeremy Clarkson and top gear should write these programmes at least the they would be clear that its fictional.

But truth be told - a lot of the accidents are caused by bikers - going to fast, not reading roads and over estimating their bike and their own capabilities. Of the 4 times I have come off (at low speeds/drops) in 12 years of biking 3 were me misjudging conditions and 1 was oil, the only time I had a hi-speed near miss was a car driver pulling out between me and another biker out on a sunday.(thank god I had ABS)

Heck, this morning a saw a hairdrying undertaking a HGV lorry on a tight roundabout - he would have deserved to have been knocked off - you could see the lorry driving take avoiding action 

Reply to this Topic
squizzar

Apr 09

squizzar says:

Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics - try again

44% of claims with a third party aspect involved a claim for personal injury. The missing statistic is a breakdown of the blame in accidents involving a third party. The article doesn't seem to add up here. Is it: 20% of accidents are single motorcycle 80% of accidents involve other vehicles And of the 80% involving a third party: 81% are the fault of the third party 19% are the fault of the motorcyclist/50-50? 44% result in the motorcyclist making a personal injury claim against the third party. The 80%/81% figures are mentioned in the article but it is not very clear whether they are meant to be interpreted as I have done above.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices