Skip to content

General Small people taking mid size bike test General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Small people taking mid size bike test

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Totallyridiculous

Mar 13

Small people taking mid size bike test

Before the law change in January I tried to rush my test on my 125cc & unfortunately failed my module 2 with no time to re-take. So now I'm looking at the new rules.

As I'm 22 there's no point in me taking the test on a 125cc bike (& being restricted to 60mph) so I'm looking at the mid size bike test. I'm only 5'4" so a 250-300cc bike would be more than big enough for my short legs in the long run! Lol. But would still give me enough power to do motorways without being overtaken by lorries. But because of the new regs I'll have to take my test on something much bigger. Most schools only have 500cc bikes which I can't touch the floor on! I can't see any way around this & feel like I'm being discriminated against because of my height! Even if I can find a bike short enough (or get one lowered especially), I think anything that big would just be too heavy for me to manoeuvre! (Yes I'm a weedy girl! Lol). 

I also don't know if I'll have to re-take my mod 1, as the DVLA tables don't cover my circumstances. I don't fit in their usual boxes! I've been told by a riding school that I will have to re-take on a bigger bike, but when I tried to look at dates on the DVLA website, it refused to let me book a mod 1, but would happily let me through to the mod 2 page. CONFUSED!

If anyone else has a similar problem or knows any ways round this, I'd love to hear from you :)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 March 2013 18:09)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

Get a V-twin

and lower it!

My better half is 5'2" and has an SV650 which we have lowered by 1" ( pretty cheap and easy to do yourself) and can touch the floor no probs.

V-twins like the SV are narrower by virtue of their engine design so are perfect for shorties....:smile

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

EU regs

brilliant :wacko:

Hi and welcome, first off I'm afraid you'll need to re-take the mod 1 on a bike that you'll take your mod 2 on :upset:

Best phone the DVLA and talk to someone.....they prolly won't know what you're on about, but maybe somebody will :unsure: 

Small/low bike, If you buy/beg/borrow or steal a bike you want to ride after you've passed your test, you could get a friend to ride it down to the bike school, then use it with an instructor :smile

Edit....Nice font btw :biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Beelady

Jan 10

Beelady says:

Little legs.

Weight doesn't matter much, if you can get both feet down. I am shorter then you and I can't pull, push or lift at all. I used to ride a Harley Sportster 883 hugger. Weighs as much as a small elephant but really easy to move around as the weight is low down. Now I ride a lowered Triumph Street Triple. Not quite so low, but still get both feet almost flat.

I had to re-take my test, due to the big DVLA cock up a few years back. I had to take it on a 125 because there wasn't a bike at the training school low enough to touch the ground on. After that I had to have the Harley restricted for two years and be patient.

Don't worry about being weedy. Getting your feet down easily is far more important. Best of luck with finding out where you stand testwise and don't give up. It'll be worth it in the end.

Reply to this Topic
bazablue

Mar 10

bazablue says:

small

get a virago!ideal for those vertically challenged esp ladies

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Ickle legs

Kawasaki ZZR600 has a nice low and narrow seat.

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

I'm 5ft 4...

and have a fire Blade..  Buy some Daytona Lady star Boots....   eventually you find your own technique to manhandling your bike around.... :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I'm not such a short arse then

:biggrin: I was 5'6 but I'm just hovering over 5'5 now.

Virago is the way to go you should be able to manage those OK

Reply to this Topic
bigboots

Jan 10

bigboots says:

Agree

with virago suggestion.  My first bike was a virago 535 and I am the same height as you. Being able to get both feet down does loads to boost your confidence. Went all round Europe on it so you wont find it restricting.  Also although expensive Daytona Lady Stars are fantastic!!  Good luck sorting it all out with DVLA!

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

If

i was granted 3 wishes,1 of the wishes would be for me to be 6ft tall......  its crap been a short arse...:doubt:

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I bred short arses

one just under 5' and one 5'2, doesn't come from my side I am the shortest female and tallest being 6'2 and males are all well over 6'.

Anyway......

In time as confidence grows there will be a lot more choice and yes boots with a bit of height will always help, but that doesn't mean wearing glam rock boots:shock:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle