Skip to content

Ask an Expert ZXR750 H2 Wierd timing setup!!?? Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > ZXR750 H2 Wierd timing setup!!??

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

adamclick

Mar 13

adamclick says:

ZXR750 H2 Wierd timing setup!!??

Hi, i have been helping a mate rebuild his h2, we have come to set up the timing and re install the cams etc, we are useing a haynes manual and all seemed to go as in the manual, but when we turned the engine over with a spanner on the crank, the piston was hitting the valves and stopping the engine from turning, so we re checked everything, timing marks, correct number of links etc and it still wasn\´t right. so we dismantled the cams etc and took out the plugs and saw that pistons 2&3 were at tdc?? We have another engine which we have compared it against and the other engine is right with the timing wheel at tdc number 1&4 pistons are at tdc. My question is does anybody have any idea what might be going on? is it possible to set the engine up with a different firing order? Any help would be gratefully apreciated.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (28 March 2013 18:12)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

timing

Welcome adam,haven`t a clue,you may be 180* degrees out!!!!!!!!!!!!.

kcmc and other pro`s will have more idea.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki ZXR 750H2

Hi Adamclick and welcome to the site:tongue:

Again Jaffa hits the nail on the head:smilesounds like your 180deg out,could be you have had the cam chain sprockets off and put the on the wrong cams or on the wrong way around?? Or fitted the Crank ignition  rotor  the wrong way around or 180deg out(but i think that  one is pined in place?will have to look in the book)or possible put the cams in the wrong way around.Good Look

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Hmm

now come to think of it,i do think you have put the cams in the wrong way around(Exhaust in the inlet and the inlet in the exhaust)its 90 degrees out not 180degrees err i think ? :wacko: :lol:.

Your cam lobes should look like this,with number one cylinder on top dead centre,if it doesn't you have something very wrong.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

Yep

180 degrees out sounds likely done it before on a cbr 600 cause i always assume cylinder number one is next to the  genny ....not on a early cbr 6 ......might be the same on this ?

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Haynes timing

The haynes BOL for the ZZR600 has the timing marks 180 degrees out. It's possible that it's wrong for the ZXR too

Reply to this Topic
adamclick

Mar 13

adamclick says:

750 h2

adamclick has at least 10 rep points

hi to everyone and thanks for the input, but i think the problem is at crank level, we have two engines the one in the bike is the engine that came with it, the other is a spare, niether engine has the cams in place. If we set the two engines side by side, with a spanner turn the rotor on the end of the crank to the tdc mark on both engines, the spare engines no1 piston is at the top of the cylinder as you would expect, but the engine in the bikes pistons are at the top of cylinder 2&3! since my friend owned the bike, 4/5 yrs, the engine reved like mad and pulled like a train far better than the standrd engine the engine has never been touched the only work done is a new slipper clutch and the heads re-conditioned. now we have come to put the heads back on and are using a standard haynes manual set up, The spare engine goes together fine using the manual but the engine in the bike has us completely stumped, with a standard haynes set up the bike engine hits the valves as you crank the engine over and stops the engine turning! to us this says the crank is 180 out. The ignition rotor on the crank can only be fitted in one way, so at the moment it is signaling the ignition to fire on 2 or 3?? If we set the engine up using a probe at no1 piston to find tdc and set the cams etc to the haynes manual. the engine turn etc fine but the ignition rotor is out of sync!?:huh:

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

sounds very odd

can you pull the rotor off to check dowel pin isn't broken compare it to your other motor, ie pin position in crank and hole in the rotor. Photos are a great help 

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

are they both the same engines

or what More info please

Reply to this Topic
adamclick

Mar 13

adamclick says:

zxr750 h2

Hi Hairybob, thanks for the post, taking the rotor off the engine in the bike has been a bit of an issue as the hex bolt is refusing to budge, but we did try to turn the rotor to see if it would move, but it seems to be solid with no movement. will supply some pics asap.

Reply to this Topic
hairybob

Jan 09

hairybob says:

Post a pic

If you can turn motor so that 1&4 pistons are at tdc then take pic of the rotor and timing marks. I did wonder if this is an ex-race bike with race kit parts. Have the cam sprockets got slotted bolt holes ?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices