You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Suzuki GZ125 Wiring Problem

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

theironsoldier

Mar 13

Suzuki GZ125 Wiring Problem

I have a GZ125 2003 and here is the problem I am having:

I started it up, everything working perfectly, and drove 5 miles. 8 hours later I tried to start it and nothing happened when I pressed the starter.

I checked all the switches, but no obvious problems. I checked the Starter Solenoid, and found the fuse was blown but was the wrong size (30A instead of 20A). I changed the fuse, no fix. I replaced the Solenoid itself, no fix. 

I then manually connected the Solenoid contacts and it started up. Everything was working fine, including all electrical components (lights, signals, and all switches except the starter). I drove it home, 5 miles, and found that the battery had exhausted (down to about 6v) to the point that it would not start again. 

I am at a total loss as to what would cause these problems.

There are no obvious/visible faults with any of the wiring.

I can get used parts rather easily and affordably, but I am not sure what I need to replace. Any suggestions as to what would cause this?

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (29 March 2013 15:05)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

wiring problem

Welcome t**********r,(drove 5 miles:blink:)have you a motorbike plug in battery charger and a multimeter?

For now i would check your battery terminals and earth connections.

6v :shock: reading on a battery,you could have dead cells or severe drainage.

If you can charge the battery what`s the voltage reading after being OFF charge for 4 hours?

Reply to this Topic
theironsoldier

Mar 13

Battery

I have a multimeter and a charger.

I rechecked the battery later, and it was actually at around 10v, but still not enough to start the bike.

I hooked up another battery I had on hand and it started fine. I checked to see if the battery was getting a charge by revving the engine for about 30 seconds with the multimeter attached. There was no jump in voltage, and after that period it actually went down .01 volts. 

The battery does not seem to be the problem.

So there are two problems now:
1. Starter switch doesn't work.
2. Battery isn't being charged.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

charge

A good battery in service should read a minimum 12.7v the morning after.

The starter solanoid/relay switch needs this voltage to work properly.

You should have a 14.5 v average reading when rev vng the bike with all lights on.

Check the wiring in and out of the voltage regulator/rectifier,usually 3 white wires IN from the alternator and OUT a red for the battery and a black for negatve earth.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
junglelions

Mar 13

junglelions says:

Similar issue

My Suzuki GZ 125 was stolen last year, it was recovered but damaged quite a bit, they had tried to do something to start it by cutting the wires under the ignition barrell, they also dropped the bike but when I got it back I repaired it and at the time the ignition didn't work on mine, this is even after a new ignition barrell and new fuses and new starter solenoid, pressing the start button did nada, not even a click sound just nothing, even with a brand new fully charged bike battery, in the end I bought a new Honda but even today the old GZ won't start from the switch, hope you find the reason as it's probably going to be the same cause on mine.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices