Skip to content

Ask an Expert Parity with cars ? Suspension

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > Parity with cars ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Parity with cars ?

Why are motorcycle parts so bloody expensive, when compared with car parts ? I own an FJR 1300, and was quoted, wait for it..........£884.34p for a genuine oem rear shock !!!! Even after market shocks come in around £450 !!!! Nice one Yamaha........at least Dick Turpin wore a fookin mask. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 March 2013 00:15)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Shocking

£300 for a Hagon. £369 for a Nitron. Or get the OE one rebuilt for approx £100.

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Shocks

I think getting it rebuilt is the only way to go. I have seen a company on flea bay, offering a rebuild service for a £100. I can buy shocks for my car a fook site cheaper than for bikes !!!! :blink:

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Spares prices.

In part it's a case of "economies of scale." For various reasons the more you make, the cheaper you can make them. There are lots of cars about, but few bikes.

It might be nice if bike manufacturers kept a bike on its list and refined the model instead of making a major revision every two or three years.

Incidentally, I'd be happy if road-going sports bike development had stopped chasing peak power ten years ago, maintaining performance but spending the R&D money on improved fuel economy and corrosion resistance instead.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

shocks

Yep, economies of scale really do tell when it's an automated line banging out thousands of car shocks each week. Though it doesn't help that the FJR shock isn't brilliant to start with, so a £150-£200 rebuild isn't going to make that much difference..ho hum...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices