You are in... Forums > General > General > technical help required

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bcamsell

Apr 03

bcamsell says:

technical help required

I have a gsxr1000k3, im taking the yokes off and have hit a problem. Ive got everything undone and the top bolt is off, there are 2 round nuts on the stem with key ways cut in to them. I thought it needed a C spanner which ive been having trouble finding so i went to suzuki who said it required a specific socket. Has any one done this before and do i need a suzuki part or is there another way of getting them off? Ive tried a punch and hammer to tap it round but the key ways just deform.
Thanks
Barry

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (30 March 2013 09:36)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gjkt

Jul 09

gjkt says:

Castellated nuts

Aprilia use them on RS50 swing arms. One trick is to make your own tool by grinding down a socket to leave 4 pegs which locate in the holes.

Reply to this Topic
bcamsell

Apr 03

bcamsell says:

Good idea that, im sure i could manage that, if pushed.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

The trouble you have is

the two nuts will be locked together. You'll need to Loosen the top one from the bottom one. What you need is at least one thin C Spanner to hold the bottom nut still whilst you tap the top nut anti-clockwise with hammer and punch to loosen it. Two thin C spanners is the way to go really though. As with all jobs, having the right tools makes all the difference.

If you try at turn the two nuts together without unlocking them from each other,  you may damage the threads on the steering stem.

Just found this again

As shown in the video, you may have a lockwasher between the adjuster nut (bottom nut) and lock nut (top). So check first before trying to loosen them.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
stevepurcell

May 07

stevepurcell says:

technical help

Hello Barry i was going to post a video for you on how to do the job you were asking about,but someone has done it for me,when i read this post i realized i spoke to you today at St Mary's Lighthouse,spooky :tongue: hope you get the job done,steve

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

Yep...

As Richnotrich says... They will free up but ou gotta do them separately.. It's exactly the same as my K1 750, I had it all off before..

Secure the bottom one and tap the top one round... I used a heavy screw driver and it worked fine.. The prob you have is just that it's probably not been touched for 10 years so coat in WD and give it some shit mate!!

:wink:

Reply to this Topic
bcamsell

Apr 03

bcamsell says:

Small world eh steve!
I found somewhere local to get an adjustable c-spanner so i'll be doing that one night this week. Hopefully get it done soon in time for the snow to bugger off!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices