Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Nicholls93

Mar 13

Nicholls93 says:

47bhp restrictors

Hey everyone.

I'm new to the forum and the world of biking. Passed my A2 licence test last Wednesday (wooo).

Im looking to pick up a Suzuki GSF 600 bandit this coming week and so obviously I require it to be restricted to 46.6 bhp.

After reading plenty of contradictory information on the web I was hoping someone could point me straight.

Do I need to go to a dealership and get one fitted there?

OR can I buy a kit from ebay and a) fit it myself or b) get a local garage to fit it.

Sorry for the waffle. Hopefully someone can help me out.

Thanks

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (31 March 2013 20:31)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Plenty on here

will know the rules better than me, but my understanding is that the new 47bhp limit has to be as the bike leaves the factory (ie, you can't restrict or "down-tune" a more powerful bike like could be done with the 33bhp rule).

I stand corrected if others know better.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Restricting to 35Kw

The situation is the same as it was for the 33bhp limit in that there is no legal requirement to have proof that the bike is restricted or have it restricted in a certain way. It is up to you as the user of the vehicle to ensure it satisfies the conditions of your licence in the same way that it is your responsibility to keep it in roadworthy condition with good tyres and brakes. If the Police had good reason to think that the bike wasn’t restricted they could impound the bike.

If you are confident you can fit it there is no reason why you can’t buy a kit and fit i.
There is talk of Type Approval legislation coming in that would mean you woudn't be able to restrict, but that is several years down the line and won't be retrospective.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

Try the page below

https://www.gov.uk/ride-motorcycle-moped/bike-categories-ages-and-licence-requirements

It give the info you need. Basically you can only restrict a bike that produces less than 94bhp in standard trim so all the recent 600cc+ bikes are off limits to you I'm afraid:upset:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

94bhp

So that probably rules out an old dinosaur like my ZZR600 too....

Reply to this Topic
GeorgeMoroz95

Nov 13

94 bhp or 70kw restriction

from what i have read i know that you cant restrict a bike that 'derives,' from double 47.6bhp (35kw). i was looking to get a 2004ish GXSR 600 which is about 97 bhp (72kw). anyone know that if its lost a couple of horses over the years and is 94 bhp would i be able to restrict it. Also what proof do you need and will a garage turn you down if its just over 94 bhp like the gxsr 600.

appreciate any help 

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Have you

tried getting (accurate) insurance prices for a GSXR? It's not likely to come easy or cheap - and (I'm assuming you're just starting out), there's better bikes to start out on.

Reply to this Topic
Amateurcynic

Jun 09

Amateurcynic says:

George

Put simply, No! There's no accounting for how much hp has been "lost" over the years its done by the what the manufacturers originally state for performance

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices