Skip to content

Ask an Expert bike advice for an unusual commute New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > bike advice for an unusual commute

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

charliewphill

Apr 13

bike advice for an unusual commute

Hi. 

I'm toying with the idea of getting a bike for commuting to work (cheap and fun!). Thing is, I commute to work over the bealach na ba to Applecross (some of you may know it...) which is 2000ft ascent and 2000ft descent over a 15 mile trip on twisty single track road.

I'm looking at 125's because I've not ridden before. It's been suggested that a 4 stroke bike which is as much of an off-road bike as it is an on-road one would be best, I've been looking at Derbi's (Senda DRD 125 & Terra), though I've also been wondering if a Yamaha YBR would suffice (presuming I stay on the tarmac).
Any advice would be appreciated, even if it's to tell me that it's a ridiculous idea to use a bike to commute on such a route.

Thanks.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (02 April 2013 12:42)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

Some options

I think that a lightweight bike with a decent amount of torque would be ideal for the job and would probably make the route more easily in dodgy weather than many a car.

Unless you plan to cut across the Moors in the mud something like a YBR would be just as good as either of the Derbis, especially as they are hard to find. Otherwise an old-stock Suzuki DR125 would be worth considering or the Suzuki Van Van, which is small and idiot-proof, but will only do 60mph, eventually.

The Kawasaki KLX125 is probably the best of the current crop of proper trail bikes, but looking at the route and assuming you are not short in the leg, we’d point you at a Honda Varadero 125. It has a classy quality to it with good road manners and OK off-road ability with twin cylinder smoothness. There are plenty of low mileage ones around, even though it’s recently been dropped from Honda’s range.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices