Skip to content

Discuss This Video: BMW R1200GS - Old vs New First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: BMW R1200GS - Old vs New

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: BMW R1200GS - Old vs New

Last week MCN took BMW's old R1200GS head to head against it's replacement, the 2013 model. Does the new bike - the UK's top-selling bike last year - measure up to what it's replacing?     brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (03 April 2013 10:27)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
pankgt

Oct 06

pankgt says:

I do wishMCN would make more effort to get specifications correct over and over again  in paper and now on video you state same weight for year 12 and 13 GS . when in fact new model is a whopping 9 kg heavier surely enough in itself to put some off. No matter how much this statment of "as soon as the wheels are turning wheight goes away ", it makes its present felt all to much every time you stop and have to manoeuvre or just stop to look at a view with an adverse camber. N. P do Dorset

Reply to this Topic
Zinfandel92

Apr 13

Zinfandel92 says:

Hi PankGT,

sorry, you're wrong, the new bike has in fact the same weight as the old one (if the old one has ABS). And it is not that heavy at all.

Anyway, if I have a look the the Triumph 1200 Explorer or the big the big Honda Crosstourer, I would agree with you, because they have some pounds extra...

Reply to this Topic
wright1200

Dec 10

wright1200 says:

Incomplete option list

I haven’t been riding motorbikes for a long as some. I followed the part I and II tests, passing, gaining road experience before taking and completing the advanced test in 1985. Since then I have ridden a wide variety of Japanese and European bikes, for commuting, pleasure and tours in all kinds of weather.

In all this time I have found using the single button indicator akin to being a right handed golfer, been given left handed golf clubs or driving from the UK down the South of France in a UK spec right hand drive car needing to stop at each toll booth, where the ticket collection or payment booth are on the left side. Basically awkward, as with the single indicator button that toggles from side to side, sticking out almost half an inch.

It’s not comfortable to the hand or fingers, so for me, it’s in the wrong place and badly designed. Bike manufactures have been for a long time, playing with the placement of this annoying single switch indicator system for years, until BMW did something about it.

They designed an ergonomically indicator switching system around the hand and fingers. For me, I no longer had to lift my hand off the bar grip to turn the indicators on or off and what’s better, you turn right, right thumb, turn left , left thumb, its intuitive, what could be simpler or better. For me, it couldn’t get any better.

I now have a collection of BMW’s and they have all got the same ergonomically designed indicator system, I love it, it’s brilliant in its design and simplicity of use. I don’t want to buy a bike with the single indicator switch, I hate it, it’s annoying to use and I’m not always sure it’s activated correctly! So for me the single indicator switch is distracting, taking my focus away from what I am meant to be doing, it’s dangerous!

So why when BMW have spent a long time and money developing the new GS, didn’t they build into the options list their indicator system? The new GS could be brilliant, but I won’t be buying one, I will probably buy another watch or something else of approximately similar value, that’s engineered, designed and finished in the way I appreciate.

MCN have been good at campaigning for better security and bike manufactures have followed, with the likes of BMW, can MCN now campaign for safer indicator switch system, that replaces the out dated single button system…… I thought BMW had right idea……..

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Zinfandel92

Explorer:- wet weight, ready to ride 259KG

New GS:-  road ready,fully fueled  256KG

Crosstourer:-  kerb weight  275KG

These are official figures from the Web sites...........Make of them what you will.

Reply to this Topic
Zinfandel92

Apr 13

Zinfandel92 says:

Hi Sprintman.

Don't know what official website of BMW that should be where you were looking, but I see 238 kg on their website... the new GS does not have more weight that the old one including ABS.

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

Confusing Weight's

Apologies Zinfandel92 your right.Not the best laid out site and apparantly there are six models.I looked at the Adventure which is 256kg fully fueled.What the diff. is between that and the 1200 R GS which is as you say 238kg fully fueled i no not.

The point i was trying to make is the Adventure is fairly heavy and much the same as the Explorer.

Also all these Websites have different ways of telling the actual on the road weight.For instance the Japanese tend to say " Kerb Weight",is that all the fluids except the Fuel?.

BMW seems straight forward "Road Ready Fully Fueled"

Triumph Explorer "Wet Weight Ready To Ride",to me this is similer to Kerb Weight with little Fuel?

Why the confusion,are Manufacture's trying to hide the Weight?

Reply to this Topic
Room101

Oct 12

Room101 says:

tankslappers?

So the new GS has had a gazillion miles of testing yet still comes to the market with pre-launch recalls in Europe and Canada and reports of tankslappers by four separate journos from four separate motorbike mags – and nobody is talking about this?

Reply to this Topic
trevster

Aug 02

trevster says:

‘The new headlight is beautiful’? Have you got your beer goggles on? Personally I wish BMW had gone to town on the styling as let’s face it, it’s still butt ugly!

Reply to this Topic
wildy

Aug 02

wildy says:

The new bike is better in every way than the old. I have owned four GS since 2001. The 1150 GS, a GSA MU, GSA TU and now the new water cooled GS. In between I have had a HD Fatboy, BMW K1300R and a new Yamaha VMAX. The new GS handles better, revs up far faster, much more economical, is more comfy then any other GS I have owned. My only gripe is that I used to love the metal petrol tank on the 1150 GS and still believe tat a premium bike should have a metal tank, but otherwise i am very happy with the new bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle