Skip to content

Ask an Expert summer trip to switzerland Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > summer trip to switzerland

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

shorty8118

Apr 13

shorty8118 says:

summer trip to switzerland

me and a couple of my mates are looking into doing a trip to switzerland this summer. the route down is the bit thats worried me. its a long drag to switzerland ive done it in car and it was fine, however i think the long drag across france might kill me on a sports bike. This is my proposed route could you have a look and gve me some advice please.

calais to baden baden. over night in baden baden.

baden baden down the b500 to swiss boarder then motorway to interlaken.camp on the lake.

interlaken over the grimsel furka gottard passes to airolo then back on the motorway to ascona on the swiss italian lakes.setting up camp on the lake and using it as a base for a few days.

then 3 days of riding some glourious routes.been looking on best biking roads and i think we could link in 3 passes a day before heading back to the lake to relax.

route home unsure yet.

has anyone done calais to switzerland in a oner on a bike?

any advice woud be welcome as this is our first trip.

cheers

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 April 2013 17:33)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Switzerland

Alternative route to Interlaken
Follow motorway all the way to Langres. Instead of taking main E17 S. towards Dijon take E54 heading east to Vesoul.
From Vesoul head S/ towards Besancon. From Besancon follow N57 south towards Pontarlier then vallorbe on Swiss border.

This will take you over the Jura mountains and give you a breathtaking view over Lake Geneva and the Alps as you descend towards
 Lausanne. The road is good but it gets a lot better.From Lausanne follow the shore of the Lake east towrads Montreux. From Montreux head
S. towards Aigle and pick up the A9 and A11 which takes you past Gstaad and onto Lake Thun over a decent series of roads including a 1500m pass.

From Interlaken head S. towards Meringen, just outside town are the Reichenbach Falls of Sherlock Holmes fame. There are plenty of campsites at Innertkirchen just to the S. This puts you close to the start of the Grimsel pass
just to the south of Meringen. There is a classic cicuit of passes made up of the Grimsel, Furka, Nufenen and Sustenen which I would try not to miss
if in the area.Andermatt would also be a good base.

Heading for the lakes I would recommend the Splugenpass in SE Switzerland as a very secenic way to enter the lake leaving you at the top of L. Como.

You can get to Switzerland in a day, I've done it one day on a tired BMW R80 but I cannot lie, until you pull off the motorway at Langres it is a bit dull but the payoff
is worth it.

Reply to this Topic
shorty8118

Apr 13

shorty8118 says:

german part

thanks for the tip what do you think about the trip through germany? have you had any experience of the b500 from baden baden

Reply to this Topic
johnrodgers

May 09

johnrodgers says:

Germany vs France

The Baden-Baden route looks quite sensible. Mileage wise

Calais Baden-Baden=413miles Baden-Baden to  Interlaken 193 miles so probably best to split that into two days riding. Never ridden the b500 from Baden-Baden so can't comment. Looking at link below it gets a good write up as a fast road so probably good on a fast sportsbike....

http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-germany-/baden-wurttemberg-/b500--freudenstadt--_5b710.html

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Marmalade2

Sep 12

Marmalade2 says:

Swiss

I've done it a few times and usually go across to Belgium via Lille, down through Luxembourg, Saarbrucken in Germany, Stuttgart then head for Swiss passing the northern end of Lake Constance.

Avoids all the French Tolls and easy motoring to get the miles done swiftly.

Reply to this Topic
TenBears

Aug 02

TenBears says:

Swiss trip

Hey shorty,

Easily doable. Wife & I did almost the same journey back in 2000 and she'd only just passed her test [and she's a shorty – could only just put the toes of one foot down].

French tolls are stupidly pricey, even for bikes so if you're pressed for time and need the express-ways as opposed to D or N roads the German route would be infinitely better even via Calais.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices