Skip to content

Ask an Expert What bike should i get? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > What bike should i get?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

southcoastriding

Apr 13

What bike should i get?

Hi,

I have just passed my DAS test and am looking for my first proper bike. I have been riding a CBF125 for 9 months and am ready for a proper bike in time for the summer! 

I have about £3500 for my bike and have everything else I need sorted.

My commute is only 10 mins or so, so that doesn’t really effect the bike however it will be being used all year round. My wife is also keen to ride pillion and possibly use it for weekends away but not touring for weeks.  I also would like to attach some luggage to it if it is possible. So in short fun to drive at the weekends but could be used for a Sunday morning ride.

I did my test on an XJ6 diversion and thought that might work but does anybody have any other suggestions?

Cheers  

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (04 April 2013 19:27)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike choice

The ER6 in both naked and faired forms is very good.  The Suzuki Bandit is another potential and the SV650 is highly rated by many.  All will take luggage and cope reasonably well with a pillion.   

Reply to this Topic
gs12

Feb 10

gs12 says:

The Honda Hornet or Yam 600 Fazer would be a good step up without going silly also consider any Honda Vfr great and bullet proof! The best thing is taking your time to understand the bike gradually after the initial purchase.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
DanAtBristol

Nov 12

DanAtBristol says:

Suzuki Bandit

I was in a similar position about 6 months ago, though I'd been on a 125 for about 3k miles then wrote it off (car pulled out of a side lane without looking) and passed my full test about 18 months later.

I'd heard a lot of good things about Suzuki Bandits and after a lot of research and looking around I got my heart set on a 650 (600 = 2004 and before, 650 = 2005 and onwards), I picked a 2005 up from a garage a mile from my house with 14k on the clock, for £2500 with a new mot, battery and 3 months warranty... That was at the beginning of Dec, I commuted on it every weekday in rain/snow/ice at 6am (so VERY cold, started every day without a problem) about 8 miles each way through Dec and Jan. It didn't get much use in Feb/March, now I'm working about 16 miles away and it's still running me there more than happily.

A heads up, it's VERY powerful and heavy for the first couple of weeks, but you quickly get used to it and lose your fear of using any real acceleration. Couldn't say a bad word about it really, I've done over 1200 miles on it and besides wanting to replace the tire and maybe getting a few new bits on it, I love it - Definitely worth the money!

One final point, they made some fairly nice upgrades on the 2007 model, which you should be able to get for your money, my insurance was about £750 fully comp with zero NCD, and I'd just got my licence + turned 25, so keep that chunk of change in mind! ;)

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices