Skip to content

General Best way to ride when you can't have a bike? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Best way to ride when you can't have a bike?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Pipunch

Apr 13

Pipunch says:

Best way to ride when you can't have a bike?

Hi all, long time lurker, new member.

A bit about me:

I'm 26, and up until I was 22 I was very anti bike, being a car driver. I thought bikers were dangerous and wreckless and that bikes were just ticking time bombs designed to kill people.

Then I met my ex girlfriend, who's Dad, Stepdad and Mum were all bike instructors and had been riding bikes of some description since being able to hold one up. I still wouldn't give in on my insistance that they were dangerous, until one day I was told to go to the local leisure centre car park at '9am tomorrow morning'. Glorious, sunny April day, I turn up and her stepdad is there, line of 125's and ped's lined up, doing a CBT. 'Oh for f**k's sake' I thought.

We went through everything and as soon as I got on a bike my world changed, and 4 months later I was the proud owner of a Thundercat and a full bike license. I then went to uni and had to sell the bike, and I now live in Edinburgh in a flat which is in a really awkward spot as it's sort of round the back of a building in a secluded space, and there's NOWHERE nearby to park a bike, so I can't have one at the minute.

My question is: what's the best way to go about going for a ride? One would be to meet someone with a spare and blag a ride on that, but I don't know many here, let alone bikers.

The other thing I thought about is track days, but i'm more interested in riding cruiser style bikes now.

This obviously just leaves renting for a weekend or something, which I'm considering doing.

Any tips? I'm itching to saddle up and can't wait another few years until I finish Uni and buy my own gaff!!!

Cheers, Phil.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (05 April 2013 21:34)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Phil

'now live in Edinburgh in a flat which is in a really awkward spot as it's sort of round the back of a building in a secluded space, and there's NOWHERE nearby to park a bike, so I can't have one at the minute.'

Surely the answer is to buy and store a bike away from your flat...... eg. rent a garage somewhere nearby? :mellow:  

Reply to this Topic
Barney Fartpants

Sep 07

Hi Phil

Welcome to the forum :smile

Reply to this Topic
Pipunch

Apr 13

Pipunch says:

Garage

Yeh I thought about renting a garage but the cheapest I could find is out of my budget and was a few miles away, sort of defeats the object for me if I have to get a bus to it. I'm also pretty tight on money, I can afford a deposit for a weekend rent stint though :biggrin: That's probably the right option I would say.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the process of renting. Some places want £500 deposit, but does that cover just the return of the bike of if you had an accident would they keep it?

Reply to this Topic
Pipunch

Apr 13

Pipunch says:

Garage

Yeh I thought about renting a garage but the cheapest I could find is out of my budget and was a few miles away, sort of defeats the object for me if I have to get a bus to it. I'm also pretty tight on money, I can afford a deposit for a weekend rent stint though :biggrin: That's probably the right option I would say.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the process of renting. Some places want £500 deposit, but does that cover just the return of the bike of if you had an accident would they keep it?

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

trials

buy a trials bike and ride it up the stairs to keep locked safely in your flat. problem solved

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

friends

if you meet a biking chums may let yourself storing machine in there housing property for small feee

Reply to this Topic
Kamchat

Aug 02

Kamchat says:

Phil

'Some places want £500 deposit, but does that cover just the return of the bike of if you had an accident would they keep it?'

They would probably keep it as it is likely to be the 'excess' amount on their insurance. :mellow:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices