Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar MotoGP: Lorenzo starts title defence with pole position MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar MotoGP: Lorenzo starts title defence with pole position

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Qatar MotoGP: Lorenzo starts title defence with pole position

Factory Yamaha rider Jorge Lorenzo will start the first race of 2013 from pole position after seeing off Brit Cal Crutchlow in Q2. Crutchlow again set the fastest lap on his first run in Q2, but after a tyre change Lorenzo set a fastest time of 1:54.714 to beat Crutchlow by 0.202s. Repsol Honda rider Dani Pedrosa set the third fastest time...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (06 April 2013 19:37)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BennytheRev

Apr 13

BennytheRev says:

Indeed Bulto ...

...  nobody but the rider knows their true race pace, and Dovi's keeping his cards close to his chest. Keeping everyone guessing. Class.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ChicoMarx

Apr 13

ChicoMarx says:

Pace

Had a look at last years times and Lorenzo was in the 56's for every lap bar two, and none of the leaders dropped into the 58's. So if you're wrong about that you could be wrong about Dovi's bike?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Well Rev

Not too sure about that, but he's doing well so far no question which must be a huge relief to the Ducati garage. Not sure what was going on with Hayden in Q2 but he looked quite animated at one point and is miles off Dovi's time.

It's interesting that there seems an undercurrent of vibes willing Dovi to fail in the race and I've no idea why that would be... Also interesting is that if you look at the Q2 times of the other Ducatis you could say normal service has resumed from where it left off last year in terms of time gap to the front and that was all the bike was capable of, particularly if you use the only constant of #69 - except the new boy has proved a bit of a fly in the ointment to that statistic.

In terms of relative performance, Dovi had probably his best year last year on a satellite bike and rode much better than I ever thought he would, particularly after his slow start on the bike. Could this year with Ducati as #1 bring out something we haven't seen in him yet? Or will it prove a one off and a false dawn. One of the more interesting aspects of the season which will take a while to unfold I think.

Also interesting is to reflect on the claims that last year's new Honda was so much better than the M1 (even though Stoner beat Pedrosa twice with tthe old chassis) So how is last year's M1 beating this year's Honda... And how is Cal figuring in the fastest sector 4 time given that sector includes the last corner exit onto the main straight which is all about the Honda's superior ability to get out of corners quicker and accelerate quicker?

Conundrums conundrums

Reply to this Topic
DoomedDog

Jul 10

DoomedDog says:

Cal fourth into the first

corner? About two times last year did Cal manage to exit the first corner in the postition he started in. Every other time he had lost places before getting there. With the Repsol midget alongside him and the former teammate he never seemed to be able to outbrake not far behind either it might be fourth place for Cal off the start.

I'm hoping that's not the case though and he hassles Lorenzo something fierce for a win.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Chico

I'd left another page open and read the wrong set of times so yes, the times I gave were total bollocks. I still don't think though that too much can be taken from a handful of laps in practise in order to predict what will happen over a 20 odd lap race. 4 to 6 laps isn't a "long run", as the Europsport team like to put it.

As for Dovi's bike, I can only repeat what Ducati themselves havesaid. It's the GP12 with a different fairing of Dovi's choice. All four Ducati bikes are the GP12 - according to Ducati

Reply to this Topic
pannyderosa

Jan 13

pannyderosa says:

calm calm calm

One fastish lap from a Ducati and people get so carried away.
If he finishes 4th in the race then it would be justified.
Calm down and try to understand before making out all is well at Ducati.
Dovi has even said he is worried about the race but you all seem to ignore that.

Reply to this Topic
ChicoMarx

Apr 13

ChicoMarx says:

Ducati

I know what they're saying, just wondered if anyone knew for sure. That's some big extrapolation for the season yet we shouldn't assume race pace based on five lap runs? Anyway the conditions might change but it's looking like a four way dice for second if Jorge gets away.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Panny

No-one is saying all is well, but there has been an improvement as it wasn't just one quick qualifying lap. He's managed to turn in quite a few laps in different sessions and test runs that have looked an improvement on last year - as they are when compared to his first couple of runs out on it.

Chico - what did I extrapolate for the season? Have I said Dovi will be 3rd or whatever come season's end?

Reply to this Topic
BennytheRev

Apr 13

BennytheRev says:

I wonder what will be going through Rossi's mind when he lines-up on the grid immediately behind his former bike? "It should of been me" perhaps?

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Bulto, GP12..

..with new swing arm?..

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle