Skip to content

Discuss This Qatar MotoGP: Lorenzo dominates season opener MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Qatar MotoGP: Lorenzo dominates season opener

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Qatar MotoGP: Lorenzo dominates season opener

Double world champion Jorge Lorenzo dominated the opening race of the 2013 season to take victory by almost six seconds. Lorenzo got a great start and eased ahead of the field quickly. Dani Pedrosa also got a good start off the front row of the grid and spent a lot of the race in secod place until he was overtaken by new team-mate...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (07 April 2013 21:11)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BennytheRev

Apr 13

BennytheRev says:

Cal has ...

... IMO, got to make his grid position count. Second on the line but fourth into turn 1 - again. Stuck behind others (like with Dovi last year) and unable/unwillingly to pass - again. A mistake when under extreme pressure - again. All would have been avoided if he could have followed Lorenzo off the line and made it to the corner in second place. Still, he was the first private bike by a country-mile and finished the race which is the most important thing (shame about Smith). But both will learn and get better so it's all good stuff really.

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Thrilla in Qatar...

Ah fellas... cracking race that.  The thriller of Scott & Pol was a delightful warm-up before the main event.   Given GP was practically a warm down after the real action last year.  Can't recall that much anticipation since 08 when JT and Lorenzo joined (please, give JT a break!) - this was compounded.  Cal did a brilliant job hanging with those Repsols and certainly having the edge in the middle sector - but absolutely no match on the straights.  Drip feeding new parts are the only way he's gonna make that podium if all aliens are upright. (which he can).  Solid 5th was a very good result in that field.  Well done mate!

Now would Rossi have caught J-Lo had he started well and not made any mistakes?  Most likely (IMO).  a dice with Rossi may have uspet his super smooth aura..(just ask Dani & Marc). However I think the win was always gonna be his.   I hope this is a reflection of the season to come!  Super stoked...  unlucky for Bradders and for my boy Stefan.  Still, early days... and that also goes for Dani.  He's just getting settled in.  Austin is gonna be crazy town!

Christ almighty... imagine the atmosphere in Mugello this year!

BBB - Good point.  El Diab... sort yourself out lad.  No need for the F-bomb.

As for nostro...  is that minature 'army of none' in hiding?

Reply to this Topic
shawno76

Aug 10

shawno76 says:

Rev...

You're spot on.  I thought the same thing when watching.  Am sure Dovi enjoyed showing him the number 04 before first corner!  He shouldn've hung on the back of Jorgé.  Still as Cal's starts go - that wasn't too bad and am sure he'll improve.  I reckon we'll see Cal take his maiden pole before Laguna incidentally, I'll drop you a note from trackside on that round ;-)

I do chuckle the way he takes the pi** out of Matt when catching a 'quick word' before the race!  Nice jumper...

Reply to this Topic
BennytheRev

Apr 13

BennytheRev says:

Just a quickie ...

... on Ben Spies. Now I'm not, and never have been the boy's biggest fan. His riding style is ugly and nothing more. 

Nonetheless, I recognise that Ben has been through hell since Valencia 2011, and that to rehab from a career threatening injury on a semi-works D16 isn't the easiest thing to do - especially for a guy as mentally and physically battered as Spies. A racer who (according to Schwantz) you can't leave in a room on his own for more than 5 mins before destructive, self-doubt creeps in. 

Ben's just entered the history books as the first prototype rider to fail to get out of the new Q2 after yet another heavy crash. He's been beaten by his rookie team-mate and finished the race as last prototype. Facing these facts, Spies may be forgiven for feeling low - but far from it. In fact, Spies is happy and describes his 10th place: "It was the best tenth place I've ever had in my life. The race was good. We get off to a good start, but I knew I couldn't run with a good pace for a long time." 

God loves a trier and, despite a prolonged period of set-backs and this latest, very serious injury, Spies still hasn't given-up. I respect that.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bartman1988

Oct 12

bartman1988 says:

some silly people on here.as cal said on the grid if he got stuck behind the hondas he would struggle if he could get infront of them from the start hed be quicker and that showed

Reply to this Topic
pannyderosa

Jan 13

pannyderosa says:

nice one benny

Spies was and still is an extremely talented rider and has certainly had his fair share of bad luck recently.
I am sure he can make a come back but maybe not on that awful Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

FANtastic

That was an amazing start to the season. Rossi back to his old tricks. MM doing the biz over Pedrosa and Cal a solid start to the season. This could be a classic season. I dont know who said it but Lorenzo the robot. Spot on. Nice to see people actually writing insightfull stuff on here and not the usual offensive crap.

Reply to this Topic
exsup

Jun 06

exsup says:

Rossi

Well all the doubters out there all I can say is that the Doctor is back.

I read last week that F1 had become more popular than Moto GP well I think after yesterdays.. race Moto GP will be back on top.

Reply to this Topic
vmax4steve

Mar 08

vmax4steve says:

Engine Maps

my dears. Cal can qualify well using top power but can't use it for the whole of a race otherwise he will run out of fuel as Rossi almost did. Fair play to Rossi, back on the best bike and at the sharp end again but had to cut it close to the fuel limit. Was that just because he made a bad start or does he have the same limitations Cal has with Lorenzo having a better electronics package that manages the fuel better making Rossi need to take chances with running out of fuel.

We shall see as the season progresses.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

No Nobstrodamus

All we need now is to lose nonceofrepsol and we'll be back to proper debates rather than hate posts against one rider ( or other ).

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices