Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi elated after dream Yamaha return MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi elated after dream Yamaha return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi elated after dream Yamaha return

Valentino Rossi’s Ducati nightmare seemed like a distant memory in Qatar last night after the Italian made a dream return to Yamaha by finishing second after a terrific late tussle with rookie Marc Marquez. An early mistake and failure to quickly navigate a way by German Stefan Bradl in the opening exchanges of the 22-lap race seemed to have crushed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 April 2013 10:22)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Be fair to the man, he may have a point. Even if he'd have got a better start and tucked in behind Lorenzo on the first lap, the two Hondas would most likely have breezed past him down the straight next time around. It was pretty clear how much faster they were.

It was also clear how much faster Cal could have gone around the back of the circuit in clear air as he was all over the back of the Hondas. Why he couldn't get past isn't easy to guess. They weren't massively fast corners around the back, so without much opportunity to take a different line and wind it up for a better corner exit, he'd be confined to trying to fire it out of the corner quicker to attempt a pass at the next one. Maybe his bike didn't have the punch to let him do that or maybe he just couldn't judge it right. Who knows. Rossi got by later on, by which time the Hondas were all over the place and the factory bike is faster than Cal's, as seen when Rossi  passed him on the straight. Had Cal not dropped back from his run on following that, maybe he could have got 4th from Pedrosa. And I'm taking nothing away from Rossi's passes on the Hondas as passes like that are his trademark. He executes them very well. Could Cal have done it on that bike. We'll never know.

One thing is for sure, if you don't ask you don't get and if you ask and still don't get you start to demand. He's there for one reason only which is to try and win. He believes he can. Nice guys with polite manners never get given anything, they just get walked all over. If he wants improved parts he's going to have to fight for them. Too easy to call it moaning. Realistically I don't see Yamaha giving him too much as they won't want him interfering with the facotry bikes.

Reply to this Topic
hurdyfurdy

Jul 12

hurdyfurdy says:

Yeah but no but ........

Cal beat both Hondas in qualifying so, in clear air, his bike was really really good. He left the grid in 2nd and went into the 1st corner in 4th.  I honestly think from that point on he talked himself out of a podium. He felt if he got past them they would blast him on the straight.  In the immortal words of Sgt Oddball from the film Kellys Heroes "stop with the negative vibes man!"

Rossi said afterwards " I knew starting from such a bad grid position I was going to have to take a few risks to overtake the guys in front me to fight for a podium" .... "After losing places when I touched Dani's bike I knew it was going to be difficult but I had to try try try"

Lorenzo knew he would also have a problem against the Hondas on acceleration out of the corners so he said he pushed really hard from the start to open a gap and then managed that gap.

As I said, I like Cal but think moaning to the media "my bike's not good enough" won't endear him to Lin Jarvis and is just a wee bit disrespectful to Herve Poncharal.  At the end of the day Yamaha didn't feel he deserved a factory bike so he didn't get one.  Dovi put the Tech 3 on the podium 6 times and he didn't get offered a factory Yamaha either.

When you think about it Yamaha could tell Cal his bike will be full factory spec from Texas onwards, give him a few bits VR and JL didn't like and he'd be none the wiser.  All 4 Ducatis are "factory"  but Dovi and Haydens seem much faster (big surprise)

Reply to this Topic
1986vfr750

Apr 09

1986vfr750 says:

even cal said

He was too hesitant...after he saw rossi put on a clinic he said that he nedds to be more aggressive too...like rossi...i think cal got schooled by the master...ther is mor to being a nine times champ than doing a fast lap without traffic. Being able to fight and pass without crashing and having the ability to close down a 4 second gap through sheer willpower are things cal still needs to learn how to do...i think watching rossi struggle on the ducati gave cal a wrong sense of his own ability compared to vale. Last night rossi showed him the vast ocean that lies between them talent wise. Its not that cal is a bad rider; its just that he is not a complete rider like theFOURaliens are...they are really a step above the rest....

Reply to this Topic
paulthew

Aug 11

paulthew says:

looks like a great season ahead

Go Rossi!

Really, you have to laugh at those who said (wished) he had 'lost it'. Hmmm. Wonder where they are now? Lol!!!

It's a long season ahead, but Lorenzo is looks as dangerous as ever, Rossi is obviously back where he belongs, and Honda have two superb riders. Pedrosa will be better at the other circuits.

One would still have to figure Lorenzo is still the best bet for the title, but it's going to be close  - it could be anyone, including the newcomer, Marquez. 

Reply to this Topic
Richard1967

Apr 09

Richard1967 says:

Rossi

I really shouldnt have been a shocked  that Rossi was so fast , but I sort of was , but Lorenzo was sublime , the whole race was interesting all the way through ,Cal has the speed obviously just needs to be able to pass a fast rider . Pedrosa looked a little subdued .I reckon Lorenzo is a little worried now , and Rossi is just enjoying his racing again (which is ominous) and Marquez was having a lot of fun out there , great race , loved it , whens the next one?

Reply to this Topic
stonerd

Apr 13

stonerd says:

I wanna see

Rossi remove that smirk from Jorge face permanantly

Reply to this Topic
mickrainey

Feb 13

mickrainey says:

Great to see

Rossi back, I too would like to see Rossi battle Lorenzo and upset his super smooth style... hard to do I'd imagine but if anyone can do it it would have to be Rossi.  I can see why Vale is so important to motogp, he really does produce the goods when it comes to race day, watching Rossi pass Cal, Bradl, Dani and then Marc was the best racing I have seen in motogp for a long while.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

ElDiab...

"With cojones and without crying and moaning because "he overtook me in corckscrew"..."

It's good to see Rossi back near the front but don't forget his "this is not a correct way to race" outburst... Stoner appologised after his... Rossi never did, but was just as upset to be at the receiving end of could be viewed as a dangerous move but was judged as fair by race control.

http://www.crash.net/motogp/news/78825/1/rossi_blames_tyre_slams_elias.html

You brought it up... & diverted the subject to Stoner yet again.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ChupaChump

Aug 11

ChupaChump says:

6 year old quote. FFS!

Talk about living in the past. Even if you don't like Rossi, you can't say last nights race wasn't entertaining? Something that has been sadly lacking over the last couple of years due, in part, to robotic time-triallists with no stomach for a fight. I'm not bothered where Rossi finishes this season as long as he puts on a show like he did on Sunday night...

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Chupa...

... & the LS incident was almost 5 years ago... makes all the difference! I was very impressed by Rossi's performance on Sunday... some people seem obsessed with moaning about the past, regurgitating only what they want to remember. Live for the present... #27 is gone... leave it there.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices