Skip to content

Discuss This Valentino Rossi elated after dream Yamaha return MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Valentino Rossi elated after dream Yamaha return

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Valentino Rossi elated after dream Yamaha return

Valentino Rossi’s Ducati nightmare seemed like a distant memory in Qatar last night after the Italian made a dream return to Yamaha by finishing second after a terrific late tussle with rookie Marc Marquez. An early mistake and failure to quickly navigate a way by German Stefan Bradl in the opening exchanges of the 22-lap race seemed to have crushed...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 April 2013 10:22)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cheekymonkey

Aug 02

cheekymonkey says:

Great

to see Rossi back up there. I thought his bike was visibly quicker than Cals...but, no problem there, a factory bike should be faster than a satellite bike.
Sorry Nostro but.....

Nostrodamus says:

Objective rational appraisal
really does escape you Oompa Loompa's doesn't it?
He'll podium next year on the Yamaha. But it'll take some pretty unfortunate set of circumstances for the old yellow eunuch to win again.
Dreamers.

Will Rossi perform better on the M1. Yes he should. Will he be a contender? No chance.

No offence but....well you know!!

Reply to this Topic
Unbreakable

Feb 11

Unbreakable says:

Whatever happened at Ducati

I don`t disagree w/ Nostro when he says that Rossi blew his big chance of giving the Duke a proper go. But we can only speculate what his reasons were. While still having to prove his skills race by race, like all on the grid, he no longer needs to risk all, and at his age probably doesn`t want to. And neither would it be wise to do so, as his body won`t bounce back from injury quite so easily.

:blink:

NOW, let us suppose that through his experience, he realizes that the bike is NOT a contender, and requires major sorting (duh). Would it be clever in these circumstances to risk all to make 3rd or 4th on the podium? It would certainly be great to watch, but in his position I wouldn`t stick my neck out either. Not worth it... Because ultimately he probably knew he could work out a deal to get back on the M1, and race another 6-7 years. Mmm, now what would you do? Risk really smashing yourself up for the minor places on the podium, or help sort the bike AND THEN make a run of it? I think BRAINS won out in the end.
:wink:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
BennytheRev

Apr 13

BennytheRev says:

Just a note ...

... about this Crutchlow myth that's doing the rounds - the one about Jarvis slipping Cal an old EXUP motor rather than a fresh, ex-factory M1. Here goes:-

In Q2, Crutchlow recorded the second fastest time behind fellow Yamaha rider, Lorenzo. Crutchlow's highest top speed was 334.7 km/h compared to Lozza's 335.9 km/h - a difference of just 1.2 km/h. 

In the warm-up on race day, Crutchlow recorded a top speed of 332.2 km/h compared to Rossi's 334.7 km/h - a difference of just 2.5 km/h 

In the race, Crutchlow recorded a top speed of 337.1 km/h compared to Lorenzo's 338.1 km/h and Rossi's 342.0 km/h.

Crutchlow's top speed average over his five best top speeds was 336.8 km/h compared to Lorenzo's 336.5 km/h and Rossi's 339.3 km/h.

Conclusion:- 

Crutchlow's bike lacked nothing in the speed department compared to the factory bikes. But, because he's not a factory standard rider, he failed to get the best out of his equipment and allowed himself to become bogged-down and finished fifth - while the factory guys came first and second. 

He did however manage to record the fourth fastest lap of the race and was just 0.048 seconds slower than Rossi - which shows that both he and his bike had the pace. 

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Returning to type Benny

And slowly but surely rekindling your dislike of Crutchlow?

What your stats don't show is whether his fastest speeds were obtained with the help of a draft from two Hondas which he followed for lap after lap in the race. Lorenzo's top speed was obtained with no draft from anyone, it pushed its own way through the air. It would be interesting to know what top speed Cal's bike could turn in on its own down that straight.

He's on a satellite bike, not factory and did a bloody good job of holding onto two works Hondas. His slip at the end lost him about 7 seconds. With 5 laps to go he was hardly going to pull that back, so no point trashing himself trying. 5th is not a bad result and realistically should be the highest he should get behind the two factory Yams and Hondas.

Where was Bradl on his virtual works bike? Where was Bautista?

Come on Rev, give the chap some credit, overtaking 2 works Hondas using a satellite Yam around the back sections of that track is hardly easy. No intention of taking anything from Rossi but it took him another 3 to 4 laps to get past them, by whiich time they looked like they had ball bearings for tyres.

Reply to this Topic
BennytheRev

Apr 13

BennytheRev says:

Not dislike Bulto ...

... although I'm not too keen on Cal as you know. I'm just trying to shed some light on the matter and dispel a few myths about Crutchlow's equipment. 

Check his times and top speeds against the factory bikes in any of the sessions and you'll find that the story is exactly the same - there's nothing between him and the factory bikes until it comes to racing and then, just like last year, Crutchlow gets stuck after cocking-up a fine qualifying position. 

It's nothing to do with the bike and everything to do with the rider. I had hoped for better from Crutchlow this year, but at least he didn't fall off so that's a positive to take away I suppose.

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

cal....

Cannot overtake, his braking is not good enough, he can brake with the top riders but not out brake them to pass into a corner.....not having a go at him, he just can't do it....ywt!!!

Reply to this Topic
simoncbr1000rr

Apr 12

agreed rev

There's nothing between the factory and tech3 bikes worth a shit......the only real difference will be if the factory boys get the gearbox......you could say bradleys bike is inferior spec wise to crutchlow's just because he is 1.5 seconda a lap slower....but it's not,brad just ain't as good as cal and cal ain't as good as rossi and lorenzo

Reply to this Topic
BennytheRev

Apr 13

BennytheRev says:

Simon ...

... thank God you're alive!!! People don't see it right now, but this was one of Crutchlow's best opportunities to get a podium. Begining of the season and very similar spec bikes, no injuries, confidence high after Jerez and a front row start at Qatar. But then comes the bit he's not too good at - the race itself. I wonder if he's bought his own brakes this year?

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

I thought Cal was

Getting off the final corner terribly. He was trying so hard to run corner speed that he was cocking up his drive, through not picking it up early enough, and / or being too wide of the optimal line. Cal's been doing a lot of bleating over the supposed inferiority of his equipment (without specifics) yet it's hard to see this 'hinderance' translate on track when you look at the lap times he's able to produce. He's bloody good is Cal but there's still some polishing needed in his game.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

A fair point Rev

It's an objective view and not one I'd entirely disagree with, as is Nostro's about the way he was getting off the line. I've often argued that the supposed superior speed of the Honda had more to do with the way the riders were getting out of corner and getting drive early, than the actual speed of the bike. The same applies to Cal adversely. If he isn't getting off the final corner well he'll lose the drive onto the long straight - which can give the perception of being out accelerated on power alone.

I'm more inclided to look at it as if it were a combination of both. The Tech3 bikes aren't on a par with the factory bikes, which coupled to his corner exit is losing him time down the straight.

Top speed figures being relevant can depend on a number of factors, where it's taken from, drafting and how quick the bike got there. The further away the point is from the initial acceleration point, the factory bike could be hittinh its top speed quicker and holding it for a greater distance. Cal's bike could only just have got there when it broke the beam.

But I think we're agreed that there is maybe a bit more he coould do in terms of passing. Certainly the way Rossi picks a line from the previous corner is something he could look at in that respect.

It's catch 22 about the bike spec. If he says nothing he'll get nothing, if he keeps on about it, he pisses everyone off. You get nothing if you don't push for it. Problem is, it works for some people and not others. Best option is probably head down for a while and work on the passing and not cock up those bloody starts. Get in the fight for the podium and them maybe Yamaha may release a few new shiny biits his way.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices