Skip to content

Discuss This HMC Classic first ride New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > HMC Classic first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

HMC Classic first ride

Now here’s a seemingly good idea: one so simple and obvious you wonder why no-one’s thought of it before. Your average Chinese learner 125 is, shall we say, a tad basic and budget, right? Invariably powered by an old school, Suzuki-clone, air-cooled, four-stroke single and with cycle parts and general quality more in keeping with the stereotypical image of the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (08 April 2013 16:53)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

If you are going to buy Chinese branded, buy cheap

Start with the Lexmoto Vixen and Arrow at £920 OTR or thereabouts, then find reasons to pay hundreds more for anything else. The less you spend, the less you can lose.

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

Beware and remember the saying, "it fell apart like a Chinese motorcycle." Would rather buy a 20 year old GN250 than these POS.

Reply to this Topic
vanandy

Feb 12

vanandy says:

I love the look of the "S" but is it made of desent components? I'd love to see one after a year left outside in the british weather. A Honda would lose its shine but the "S" I recon would fall apart and be worth zero.

Reply to this Topic
oldmanA

Jul 12

oldmanA says:

How great are Jap bikes really?

Lets look at the favorite 125 recommendation, the Honda CBF125. Made in India, Problems with rust, serious problems with overheating and up to including 2012 models (2013 reg) Unreliable due to fuel pump failings. Just look at the forums if you don't believe me. I've got a Chinese 125, I'm not saying I haven't had problems, but all fixed under warranty and I know it will get me to work and back! I know it's a cheap Honda, so lets look at the Favorite Yamaha YZF-R125 cost at over 4K again look at the forums about being unreliable. I think this is the model with the fuel pump in the tank and is causing loads of problems. I could go on all day with the bigger (jap) bikes. It's nice for once a review that puts Chinese bikes in the right perspective and unbiased.

Reply to this Topic
stripple675

Aug 12

stripple675 says:

not a bad looking bike I must admit...certainly cheap.but how long will it last ? although having said that people used to say the same about gap bikes calling them gap crap , rice burners etc.I have a cbf 125 as a hack.2009 10,000 miles and it ain't half rusty! but reliability has been excellent.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

Back in the 20th century

Reminds me of the Honda CG 125 I bought in 1989, 1000 miles later and the main bearings went, who said Jap bikes were reliable? (actually it was Brazilian) 8-)

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

First bike

knows how to assemble the final parts and check the bike over, and not some mickey mouse place that has diversified into bike sales as a little sideline.  That CBF 125 that fuzzy found lost £1100 over 2 years.  Depreciation % wise on a Chinese bike is greater, but in £ terms will be less due to the lower initial purchase price.

The ultimate deal is probably a 1 or 2 year old Pulse or Sinnis if you can find one that's been looked after and it checks out ok. 

Your dad is probably right about a lot of the people on biking forums slagging off Chinese bikes.  MCN forums are not really the place where these bikes are discussed.  Members don't see them as 'proper' bikes or 'big' bikes and whilst they might be able to tell you everything about a K5 GSXR1000, they don't really understand 125cc bikes, scooters etc so resort to panning them instead.  A Chinese bike forum would be a better place to research them.  Most of the people on those forums seem quite happy with their bikes.  You could also look up Spicy110 (I think) on YouTube.  He had an early model Pulse Adrenaline for years until it was written off, then bought a Sinnis Apache.  He has reviewed both on his page, both positively. 

Whatever you go for, you'll have loads of fun.  Just don't buy a bike if it doesn't float your boat.  If Supermotos do it for you, that's what you buy.  I can only comment personally from my brother's experience with his, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one myself now.

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

First bike

Like fuzzy139 says, you could buy a CBF125 new and take an £1100 hit over 2 years... more if you stick higher miles on it and particularly if you use it through winter and it gets a bit of corrosion on it taking the 'shine' off it.

A good bet would be a used CBF125 like the 2 year old one fuzzy mentions.  Something that has a bit of wear and tear on it, maybe a scuff or two from a light drop but is fundamentally a sound bike.  Then the first owner has taken the depreciation hit and you'd lose very little on it.

As for the Chinese bikes, of the ones you've mentioned, the Sinnis and Pulse are well established, the main components are made by QingQi with just some minor variations between the two bikes (the Sinnis is a little more expensive but has better plastics and a couple of other minor details).  They're sold all over the world but the reason you don't hear much about them is because different importers brand them differently for their own markets, so unlike a Suzuki which is Suzuki the world over, a Sinnis or Pulse is a UK only brand despite the bike being sold all over the world.  They're fundamentally reliable, easily serviced and spares are easy to get hold of.  My brother sold his Street Triple last year when he lost his job, and bought a Pulse Adrenaline as a cheap runaround, despite the dire warnings about Chinese bikes from the 'experienced & knowledgeable' bikers.  He's run it through winter and it although it's lost a little of its shine, it's no worse off than a CBF 125 would be.  He's delighted with it, had zero problems, and although he will switch back to a bigger bike when he's back in work, he's quite content to keep it for now.  HMC is a lesser known make... I think they are Zongshen bikes imported into the UK by Zing Bikes.  I've seen one in the flesh and I couldn't differentiate the build quality from a Yamaha XT.  Spares availability should be ok from Zing Bikes but personally I don't think they're as well established  as the Sinnis or Pulse and would steer clear just at present.  That's no criticism of the HMC bikes in any way, just that I myself would prefer to wait until a bike has been available for a little longer and spares availability is a little more secure.  The most important thing with a Chinese bike is to buy from a proper bike dealer who

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
romford4

Oct 05

romford4 says:

You

might find this article on VisorDown about Lexmoto & Pulse importer Lexeter quite interesting if you're considering a Chinese bike...

http://www.visordown.com/interviews/llexeter-the-great-call-of-china/22426.html

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Hmm, quite measured comments here, I'm surprised/impressed

Full disclosure, I've owned a Huoniao and a Lifan and they were both fine.  The HN in particular looked and rode near-mint after 3 years of all-weather all-season use with no more problems than a burned out indicator bulb.  It sailed through its first MOT and was then straight-swapped for a GPZ500S worth more than I'd paid for the HN brand new. Score! However, it was ACF-50'd out of the crate, garaged and well looked after: they don't thrive on neglect.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices