You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > a few bike problems

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

codewahn

Jan 13

codewahn says:

a few bike problems

hiya guys so on my way home today the bike suddenly decided to just cut out all electrics went and it died so i ended up gradually rolling to the side of the road lol >< so then it wouldn't start so had to bump it and it splutters and struggled to idle then cut out so had to bump it yet again this time it was ok, so back on my way home i opened the throttle and it hit red line and splurted out a bike of white smoke followed by some dodgy smell lost power and started bounding around till it decided to behave and work again. anyone have any ideas of what made all this happen?? :P

just a small follow up tried to start it today just heard a click and the battery seemed to just die so wouldn't start so now its on charge but the lights said it was at 100% charge so im pretty sure its time for a new battery

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (09 April 2013 15:22)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Hi codewahn

What bike is it?  

Is it water cooled?

How about age of bike?

Would also help if you tell us about the bikes service history?

Does it get parked outside or in a shed or garage?

Two or four stroke?

Give the information to help yourself get some possible causes.

Reply to this Topic
codewahn

Jan 13

codewahn says:

more info

the bike is a 2011 sinnis apache i got it second hand from what i can tell its had 1 service bt cant tell when as the writing is faded and is due for another when i can afford it ><. the bike is 4 stroke i keep it outside under a cover (no room in the shed)

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Dodgy.

The "dodgy smell" along with some other things you mentioned could be an overheating regulator-rectifier. Find the reg/rec and see if there are signs of charring or melting in wires or connectors.

Reply to this Topic
codewahn

Jan 13

codewahn says:

follow up

i just put the battery back in and when i went to start it it would just not start the lights would go out etc. but when i pressed the kill switch it would all come back on. after a few min it started but it doesnt sound rite seems to idle slower than it was to

Reply to this Topic
codewahn

Jan 13

codewahn says:

more follow up

took the bike out rode it around for about an hour then had to get fuel after i got fule i tried to start i same crap happened pressed the started 1 click everything went dead so had to bump start it

Reply to this Topic
codewahn

Jan 13

codewahn says:

progress

think ive made a bit of progress, the negative terminal has a loos connection it doesnt screw in as there is no thread to screw in on the terminal, so when i went to start it it clicked wouldn't start the usual so i decided to hold down that screw on the terminal to give it better contact and it fired straight up  so im thinking its just that.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

As

you have found what could be the fault, remove both terminals and clean then make good the connections, once done make sure that terminals are protected by coating them in Vaseline (stops corrosion).

Good luck and hope it is fixed.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices