Skip to content

General What would it take to make you stop riding ? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > What would it take to make you stop riding ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

MadKwakaMax

Mar 06

MadKwakaMax says:

What would it take to make you stop riding ?

I've had a bit of a shock today ,my boss ,lifelong biker, had hung up his helmet!

I'm flabbergasted ,he was always so hardcore .Hols on the bike ,daily Summer and Winter commute, the lot .

But three accidents in 9 yrs and a worrying trend towards more SMIDSY's in general daily riding  and he's thrown in the towel .

I think for myself ,it would have to be infirmity ,that stopped me . When I was actually no longer physically able to ride .

But is there a point in your life where it becomes just a form a transport and no longer a good option ?

Maxie x

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 April 2013 09:06)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
babyrocket

Aug 11

babyrocket says:

might

be sooner than that if these winters keep getting longer 8 months now of either cold,rain or snow, still not any real signs to justify 12 months tax and insurance waiting to go in the shed.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

I'd have to stop breathing...........

All joking aside, I don't ever see a point where I won't want to ride, it's been my primary form of transport for too long, however I have found that since my divorce and now that I have a wife who wants to spend time with me I drive the car more often than I used to (sometimes due to having Jo and both kids with me, sometimes because Jo's back problem makes it impossible to take her on the bike with me).

Is your boss certain this is the right thing for him?  Perhaps after a while he'll change his mind (I've seen others do that).

Either way, Keep safe,

Keith.

Reply to this Topic
Diablere

Dec 12

Diablere says:

i'll give up

when the risks outweigh the benefits.

with two small responsibiltys its a case of constant reassessment!

Reply to this Topic
norris

Nov 02

norris says:

Smidsy's?

Got knocked off in June which has put me out of work, was worried I wouldn't be able to ride, as I couldn't get my legs on the pegs or use my wrist without pain (ok ok heard the jokes). Wrist lost 40% of movement but have found I can ride my sports bike (RSV) fine, but not a sit up type bike, legs mean I couldn't ride in the cold, but have eased up now weather changing. So..To answer your question, it would be injury to force me to stop.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

I'll never have the

patients to wait in line with other cagers, I hate cars with a passion. 

So the answer never :smile

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Giving up

I am sure that something, someday will convince me to give up bikes but right now I cannot imagine what that would be.  I hope it's because I am 110 years old and can't hold one up anymore. 

Reply to this Topic
750FLYER

Nov 04

750FLYER says:

I'm right there right now Maxy...

Went under the wheels of a bin lorry that pulled out of a petrol station on the 7th.. Raining, he came straight out i'd nowhere to go and wenrt straight under...

Thought that was my demise.. Really.. The ONLY reason that I am alive today is due to the lorry having a big protective mudguard infront of the big double rear wheels cos the driver dragged me under the truck for 4 metres! I got amazing pics and can't believe I walked away with just a bruised shoulder... The truck stopped parked on top of the Gixxer and she is DEAD after many times of asking........

That's it for me (road riding anyway) I am sinking all my money back into my track bike and that's the only place you'll find me on a motorcycle ever again i'm sad to say!

Too many blind c*nts out there now guys.

I will miss riding terribly I know it! (But I'm alive somehow)    :upset:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Cars (Bleeuurrgghhhh!!!)

To stop riding all together?? That would be either death or complete inability to ride the bike.

It's still my main source of transportation and I'd loose a serious amount of enthusiasm for life if I had to endure year after year of watching my life be ripped from me sitting in constant traffic jams, paying rip off parking charges, struggling to find parking etc.

Snow and rain does NOT encourage me to get in one of those tin boxes so the pull of driving a car is very remote to me. Transporting the dogs about and carrying a reasonable amount of kit about are they only times I consider using the hideous bloody things

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"a hangover and a sore ring piece"? 

been out with Tony Maudsley again Rog  ? :lol:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Spondon ste

Same here, I can't stand waiting in traffic. I can't afford both the bike and a car so I'll be sticking to the most practical and least painful which is the bike. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices