Skip to content

Discuss This Video: Adventure Bikes 2013 group test First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > Video: Adventure Bikes 2013 group test

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Video: Adventure Bikes 2013 group test

MCN took the top dog of adventure bikes, the BMW R1200GS to South Wales to test it against Yamaha's stalwart Super Tenere, last year's winner the Triumph Explorer, and KTM's new pretender the 1190 Adventure R. We spent three days riding through horrible conditions on the famous Black Mountain Road - find out the winner here! brightcove.createExperiences();

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 April 2013 10:16)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Who designed that headlight on the BMW? Looks like a glowing horseshoe!  Seriously though, who really needs 150bhp on a trail bike. I'll bet 99% of these bikes never attempt anything more serious than a speed hump and spend all their life touring. The off-road test was a novelty but ultimately pointless.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Nicely shot guys thumb.gif

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Paulvt1

Aug 08

Paulvt1 says:

Excellent vid guys. Respect for riding in those conditions too.

Reply to this Topic
twiggmj

Nov 03

twiggmj says:

Who buys a bike because it has a posh dealership! You said it the KTM is the best bike so why did you put the BMW first. It will be the most unreliable bike. It will have the most recalls and if the shaft drive packs in the middle of nowhere your shafted. A chain is easily repaired and will last 20k miles probably longer than the bearing in your shaft.

Reply to this Topic
BARRY105

Apr 13

BARRY105 says:

2013 ADVENTURE TEST

Not to mention cost of bikes, cost of servicing, fun factor of the KTM. Every time I go into a BMW shop I see a GS split in half for some reason.

Reply to this Topic
Boxer12

Jan 13

Boxer12 says:

@Barry

Don't believe everything you hear! I'm on my second GSA and have had no problems, ever. You're missing out if you like "adventure" bikes :) btw, why do you keep going into BMW shops if you don't own one?  I've only gone into "BMW shops" to pick up my bikes and that's "Twice"

Reply to this Topic
Zinfandel92

Apr 13

Zinfandel92 says:

Hi, I agree with you, Boxer 12. My cardan shaft currently run for almost 90.000 miles. No problems.

Service is done in two hours, so it is not expensive.

Well, german BMW dealer "Zweirad Norton" did a 250.000 kilometer test, which is about 155.000 miles. They just gave the bike to anybody who promised just to ride far enough. No problems.

see http://www.rekordfahrt.eu/ but unfortunatly not in English :-(

Reply to this Topic
nomayor

Jul 10

nomayor says:

So if at the end of the video tells so many positives about the GS, then how on earth do they conclude in the printed version that the ktm is first and the GS second???????

Reply to this Topic
MudDoctor

Mar 10

MudDoctor says:

I'm just back from the BMW Offroad Skills Course

at Walters Arena, where I did  Level One. A bit basic to start with, but it builds quite nicely into some challenging stages. We were provided with the new R1200GS, and it's the first time that I have taken anything that size and weight seriously offroad.

There is no doubt in my mind that the new GS is quite astonishing in what it can do, and that the sophistication of its electronics are a large part of that. There is also no doubt about the amount of punishment that they can take, watching them being chucked down tracks, hills and into ditches and being abused pretty much in all ways by the various students.

Tyres make a HUGE difference, and it would be a fool who takes anything of this size and weight offroad without changing to knobblies and expecting it to perform.

I have owned an R1200GSA for 5 years now, and had no problems whatsoever. The new GS has moved the game on considerably. The engine has got some pretty useful power just where you need it, and pulls like a train. On the wet and sometimes slimy tracks at Walters Arena, I was amazed that I managed to get it into 5th gear at full chat with the confidence that I was not going to bin it. Great offroad ABS and traction control, it has to be said.

I don't think that KTM and BMW owners will ever agree about who's is best. Money no object, I'd have one of each.

However, we should not lose sight of the fact that while they both have good offroad capabilities, neither of them are motocrossers, so there are plenty of bikes out there that are better offroad, but few that are better on both.

Reply to this Topic
cayderan

Apr 13

cayderan says:

No Italian bikes ??

No Stelvio or very recently introduced 2013 Caponord included -  why not? Strange that  there always 'has' to be a Beemer included in these test reports but hardly ever a bike from the less- intensively marketed brands. Marketing bias - perhaps !?

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices