You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > down pipes for my hornet 600

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bernie600f

Mar 13

bernie600f says:

down pipes for my hornet 600

iv put new stainless steel down pipes on me bike, all ok until i pulled away and did a 40 mile ride, then i noticed a rattle noice coming from the front, when i got it home the flange bolts on me pipes were loose i torgued them to 20nm like me manual says but when i put some throttle on the keep blowning any ideas please.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 April 2013 11:03)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda CB 600 Hornet 1999

Hi Bernie600F

Sometimes with the heating and cooling of the exhaust studs combined with corrosion of the threads the threads on the exhaust studs become baggy and again with the heating and cooling(expansion and contraction) if not replaced with new ones this kind of thing can occur.As most people doing home repairs do not replace the exhaust studs,and if there strong enough to take the 20NM they need to stay in place then you could fit the correct size split washers to prevent this happening,you can use high temperature thread lock but i find this to be problem if maintenance is to be carried out in the future.The other thing that is worth checking out on this model is the two air suction valves that are mounted below each two exhaust ports,these often on later models like your  start to leak exhaust gas making it sound like the headers or gaskets are still leaking when in fact its the air feed pipes.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
bernie600f

Mar 13

bernie600f says:

hi mate thnks for advice:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN