Skip to content

Ask an Expert Fireblade Tyre Advice: Commute All-Year, One Track Day & Alps Road Trip Tyres

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > Fireblade Tyre Advice: Commute All-Year, One Track Day & Alps Road Trip

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

OrangeSpoon

Apr 07

OrangeSpoon says:

Fireblade Tyre Advice: Commute All-Year, One Track Day & Alps Road Trip

Hi All

Can you please give me your thoughts on new rubber for my 2010 Fireblade?

I commute 140 miles a week into central London, all year round except if there's heavy snow.
I usually do one track day and go on a minimum three day road trip on the continent (although missed it last year due to birth of my daughter).
I ride to my needs and the conditions i.e. no point giving it some welly when commuting, I leave all that to the track and road trips when I am no slouch :)

I fitted Dunlop Sportsmarts front & back last spring; strangely the front has worn to the point of needing replacing way before the rear.
Have you heard of this before?

In general I have been very happy with them, even in winter, except for one close call in very wet conditions at Brands exiting Graham Hill bend. The instructor following me said I was unlucky the rear temporarily lost traction as the bike was almost fully upright but I put that one down to getting overly confident in the wet.

I have considered Pilot Road 3s to get extra life as I do high mileage but will they be OK on a Fireblade?

Many thanks for your advice!

P.S. Just in case anyone is interested, here's our next road trip around Mont Blanc scheduled for the end of August.
One day, three countries, lunch in Italy, mountain passes all the way...some stunning roads with very little traffic (streetview around destination point F for an idea).
Did exactly the same route in 2011 and its amazing!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 April 2013 14:48)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

almost fully upright

is when the roadsmarts have tended to spin up for me too.  Wakes you up!  I guess that's the price of the harder central band.

Presently trying Metzeler Z8 (150 mile/week commute incl. motorway, all weather except snow, other play but sadly no track days recently).  Front felt odd at first but rear grip in wet and cold seems better and it's not squaring off as quickly.

Happy for now but got a long way to go.  I was getting 6-7k miles out of roadsmarts, changing front and rear at the same time, by which stage both were pretty horrid.

Reply to this Topic
OrangeSpoon

Apr 07

OrangeSpoon says:

thanks

might have to do some research on those Metzelers

Reply to this Topic
bikedoctor4u

Apr 13

bikedoctor4u says:

Reply to this Topic
OrangeSpoon

Apr 07

OrangeSpoon says:

thanks but...

they are a bit too touring focused even for me :)

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Strange thing

If track schools are using sports-touring rubber they can't be too bad?

Dunlop sport-touring tyres like RoadSmarts are included in their fitment guide for the likes of the Fireblade and GSX-R1000.

Metzeler are just as happy to recommend Roadtec Z8, Sportec or Racetec for these bikes depending on your needs.

It's good to know they approve.

Michelin don't list any sports-touring options for these bikes - doesn't look like Pilot Roads (1/2/3) are an approved fitment?

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

bump

Reply to this Topic
OrangeSpoon

Apr 07

OrangeSpoon says:

agreed

yeah i was probably just being cautious as I didn't want to end up with less grippy tyres for my summer trip to the Alps this year :)

anyway I eventually went for a set of Michelin Power 3s, slightly less touring biased

FWR in London convinced me to go with the 55 profile for the first time, seems to turn in a bit faster

the London commute is no good for scrubbing the edges so I took bike on my usual twisty route near Ide Hill in kent and fully expected to be rid of the bulk of the chicken strips after a couple of runs but unlike the old 55 profile these ones are proving much harder to get rid off, conditions were mixed so maybe its just me, will trya again another weekend or book a track day i cant afford ;)

Reply to this Topic
teabagtoyota

May 13

teabagtoyota says:

Have you thought about

trying the Pirelli Angel ST's or the newest GT's, so far have found them favourable... seem to last and grip!

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

still liking

the Z8s, dependable wet or dry, cold or.. ..well cold so far this year!

Reply to this Topic
OrangeSpoon

Apr 07

OrangeSpoon says:

punctures

well its true i take the courier approach to commuting in London so I'm all over the road and central reservation looking for a way forward but it seems the Power 3s are more prone to punctures, had three so far in last 6 months. could just be bad luck of course but thats two tyres and a plug too much

so as i'm depressed about spending yet more cash on tyres prematurely, i'm going all-in and doing a big change in terms of a manufacturer i have never tried and a more sports touring focused option:

Pirelli Angel GT

lets see how it goes....

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle