Skip to content

General I'm a fool.............................. General

You are in... Forums > General > General > I'm a fool..............................

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

I'm a fool..............................

Late last year I bought an Aprillia Tuareg (600cc Rotax engine).  The seller started it up in his garage and it fired up really easily (from cold).

I brought it home, and started it up a couple of days later just to run it up the road, check gears etc.  Again it started really nicely.  After this I put it away, because I didn't need it over the winter (was running my R1200GS and R1100GS for commuting, and my KTM 400exc and 640 LC4 for really rough weather, local running round, green lanes etc.).

A couple of months later I pulled it out, checked the battery had charge and tried to fire it up, intending to run it up the road for an MOT.  Turned it over for a good 10 minutes on full choke but it didn't want to know.  I then charged the battery overnight and tried again.  Again the bike turned and turned but wouldn't start.  I put it away when the battery went flat, confused and annoyed, started revising my plans (don't want to commute over the summer on a bike that won't start).

Long story short, I pulled it out again this afternoon and charged the battery up, and in the sunshine I noticed the faded writing on the choke lever.  It turns out the choke on the Aprillia works the opposite way to every other bike I have with a handlebar mounted choke lever!  Pushed the choke lever forward and the engine started first prod of the button.

The moral of this story is, if it used to start and doesn't start now, look for the simple answer first!

Ride safe,

Shad.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (10 April 2013 15:37)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
obewan

Mar 03

obewan says:

Shad

Made me smile - which trust me I need today.

I am one of those people who will go through life pushing doors mareked pull

As a bloke I regard reading manuals as an admission of failure.

I may have to call on your and your encyclopeadic knowledge as am looking at a GS800 (the Suzuki not an old BM). Had the GS 650 many moons ago when I times were hard so kept it for a number of years about 10 I think. So have a hankering for the 800.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Suzuki....................

Hi Obe,  are you sure it's an 800?  I seem to remember a GS850 (Shaft driven), but not an 800.

Let me know if I can be any help,

Cheers,

Keith.

Reply to this Topic
Richnotrich

Apr 11

Richnotrich says:

GS850

Yep shaft driven Behemoth, but surprisingly capable bike.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

bugger me chaps...

I had a GS850 g shaft drive  1986 model.... loved it to bits, comfy and quite quick but terrible death  weave whilst going swiftly, one up.... mine was only a year old at the time...:upset:....be careful. obewan.

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

i feel inadequate....

I only had the 650gt..............with a Windjammer fairing!....:shock:

Reply to this Topic
MadKwakaMax

Mar 06

MadKwakaMax says:

too true!

first little bike ,kicking over like billy-ho in front of a newly met bunch of bikers ,when on of them walks over and turns my key onto 'on' position!

mortified !

Mx

Reply to this Topic
shuggie1

Apr 07

shuggie1 says:

Been there, done similar

Brand new 08 blade, when they first came out. Leaving cafe in front of mates:

helmet on - check

gloves on - check

ignition on - check

clutch in - check

big revs to impress everyone - check and sucess

select first - check

and, can you see this one coming yet?

Sidestand stll down, alll goes quiet.

Epic fail!!!!!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
beaconsman

Sep 09

beaconsman says:

fails

swearing and cursing at zzr1100 as she wouldnt fire up last winter, with tripped over fuel tank whilst heading back in...ahem...(i was sorting out new right hand switchgear and new air filter a few weeks before.) Thats worth a DOH!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle