Skip to content

Discuss This New supermoto Honda CRF250 coming to UK New bikes

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > New bikes > New supermoto Honda CRF250 coming to UK

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

New supermoto Honda CRF250 coming to UK

Honda has confirmed that its new CRF250M, a supermoto-style bike based on the popular CRF250L trail machine, will go on sale in the UK later this year. As with the L, the newcomer is powered by a liquid-cooled, DOHC, 250cc four-stroke single producing 23bhp. What’s new are 17in wheels front and rear fitted with wider, street-orientated tyres, a more powerful braking...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (12 April 2013 09:40)

Post a message in New bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
flydnb

Oct 12

flydnb says:

nice

but we need a 450 trailee.

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

Good to see new factory made supermotos :-) I hope some more come out, a few more options never hurts. Hopefully Yamaha will bring out a road legal wr450f sm, as well as the one with knobblies

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

The future is a step back??

I had a KLR250 many years ago which was blessed (?) with 28BHP and around 120kg weight. It was merely adequate due to the very low power output and on roads the throttle was more a switch (typically full on or full shut).

Why is the power output on tomorrows general run of the mill machines so much less than mediocre bikes from years ago?? Realistically 40BHP is the minimum these types of bikes should have to endure (the throttle goes both ways so you can always dial in less than full bore but 23BHP - probably 18 BHP at the back wheel, as a max on a non learner bike???)

Reply to this Topic
Andy_L

Sep 08

Andy_L says:

a step back

It's great to see Honda coming out with something like this, but I have to agree with spondonste about technology marching forwards in reverse.

It's probably not quite as bad as it seems, because Honda are quoting the weight fully fueled and ready to go, whereas in the past manufacturers used to be much less honest about weight specifications.  A fully-fuelled DR-Z400 is probably pretty close in weight.  A KLR250 probably 10kg less.  And we have to remember this is intended as a bullet-proof budget utility bike, designed for economy and built down to a price.  Nevertheless it doesn't say much for progress does it.

Reply to this Topic
pacman1967

Mar 13

pacman1967 says:

Yawn

Yes, it's nice to have "Factory" SuperMotards but 23bhp and dull styling no thanks. I'll stick to my KTM 250 EXC two stoke with a fun motor, 102kgs, road wheels and drop dead styling. It makes around 45bhp and a 15 minute wheel change makes it a green lane tool.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

pointless

could have made it based on the CRF450 and it would have been good. But no, let's have a fucking 250. Well done Honda, now off you fuck.

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

i know suzuki don't sell the drz400sm new in uk anymore, does anyone reckon they'll release a drz450sm based on the rmz? considering we have new license rules, they could release that with 47bhp to appeal to a2 riders, and obviously anyone who likes a good supermoto...

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Really now...

First thing is the Honda CRF250M will be one of the least expensive new bikes, at about half the price of a Husqvarna SMR511 or KTM 690 Duke, and also much less to operate.  Let us see any other manufacturer build a better bike at higher quality that sells for less.

As for power, based on published dyno tests of the CRF250L, power at the rear wheel should be in the 20 HP range, or about the same as the Kawasaki KLX250SF.

www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php/d/361489-2/2013-honda-crf250l-vs-kawasaki-klx250s-hp-torque-dyno1.jpg 

www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php or http://www.motorcycle.com/gallery/gallery.php?g2_view=largephotos.Largephotos&g2_itemId=185036

And would everyone stop comparing the power output of new motorcycles to old ones that had much higher emissions and much lower durability.

Hope the Honda CRF250M comes soon to the US, especially since Yamaha no longer sells the WR250X and Suzuki has dropped the DR-Z400SM - I may be buying one.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

You all..

..need remember that the world is and has been in economic recession for a good 5 years now and that new bike sales plummeted along with it. This is not to compete with the higher priced KTMs of the world, which way too may seem to do. It's a bike styled in a popular theme meant to appeal to the younger set and those not wanting to spend more than they have to. If that isn't you then move on. Some of the most fun I've had riding over almost 50 years has been on bikes with less power than this and with much less sophistication.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Yes

frankly it would have been a pissing contest for them to produce a couple of these if they're going into the supermoto market - one a 250 and one a 450cc. Then they'd cover maximum market range with minimal development costs as they could share almost all the same components as each other and their off road counterparts.

EDIT: Oh and the bike companies which have done well through recession are those who have brought out new models. Honda have just figured this out and have produced a few new machines but this one is a token effort as far as I'm concerned.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle