Skip to content

Ask an Expert Water in cylinder - help! Technical

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Water in cylinder - help!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

aemuir

Mar 12

aemuir says:

Water in cylinder - help!

Hi, I've recently taken off the cylinder head on my old CBF250 (spark plug thread stripped and needed helicoiled). Left the bike outside, came back after a week and the tarp had blown off.

There was a small pool of water sitting on the piston head (which is more or less at BDC), and also rusty orange patches all over the inside of the cylinder wall above the piston (thinking the Nikasil must have oxidised?).

I've dried off the water on the surface (though who knows if any has slipped down to the O-rings or past them) , and the orange deposit seems to wipe off OK.

Wondering whether it's OK to go ahead and rebuild the engine from here, hoping it'll work OK with an oil change and blow out any water left in? Or should I take off the engine block and do anything more drastic (re-coating the cylinder walls, replacing the O-rings, etc...)

So muppet here would really appreciate any advice as this seems like it could be an expensive and time-consuming job, but don't want to half-ass it either :wacko:

Thanks in advance!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (14 April 2013 19:59)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fogie

Jan 04

fogie says:

water in the engine

Right, I've been a car mechanic for 30 odd years.. If it were my bike, I would just go ahead and rebuild it, after draining the oil that's in there now. Make sure there's no water in the airbox, or carb. You'll be ok.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

water

I agree with fogie but why not use a hairdryer followed with some engine oil where the water has been.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices