You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Suspension > GSXR750K4 FRONT END KNOCK

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

lar1852

Apr 13

lar1852 says:

GSXR750K4 FRONT END KNOCK

I have a front end knock which I cannot find the sourse of.  When I am riding in slow traffic it is most noticable.
I have fitted new brake pads and had new head race bearings fitted, but still no solution.  My fork seals and new fork oil were replaced reletively recently too.
I am being told this is common, and it may be something to do with my fork internals.
Can you help?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 April 2013 10:36)

Post a message in Suspension

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Knock.

In slow traffic is it knocking or clicking with each revolution of the wheel? You can reproduce that by spinning the wheel on a front paddock stand. Or is it only doing it when you brake? Either way, it could be the brake pads moving a bit in the caliper, which is normal.

Reply to this Topic
lar1852

Apr 13

lar1852 says:

Front end knock.

Does not knock when spinning the wheel, but does as I roll over bumps in the road.  I may be mistaken, but the knock sounds as if it is coming from the top of the front suspension.

Reply to this Topic
Dabbsy

Aug 02

Dabbsy says:

knock

I'm assuming that you didn't detect any excessive float in the discs when you changed the pads? In which case you're right that it is probably fork internals as you've changed the head bearings as well. According to Gareth Evans at Reactive, at your bike's age it's quite likely that the fork bushes have worn. There are two in each leg, one at the bottom of the slider just behind the fork seal and the other at the top of the stanchion.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

GSXR knock

You may have fitted new head races, but have they been adjusted correctly??

Reply to this Topic
Nippy N

Jul 08

Nippy N says:

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Just read your letter in this week's MCN and thought I'd better contact you. I had a very similar problem to the one you describe last year with my '07 Blade. Knock from the front end, mainly in town at slow speeds. It got progressively worse but I couldn't find the problem. In the end, the problem found me and one side of my front wheel bearing collapsed, luckily at a reasonable speed! When I took the wheel out, the bearing cage on one side had completely collapsed. Looked like it was due to some moisture ingress some time in the past as the bearing and cage had rusted out. Check your wheel bearings before you ride it again! Cheers.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices