Skip to content

Discuss This New MCN April 17: Why 600s are back General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New MCN April 17: Why 600s are back

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

New MCN April 17: Why 600s are back

In this week's MCN, out April 17, we take the top of the class supersport screamers to Italy for a road and track test with world champion Neil Hodgson We talk exclusively to Brit Chaz Davies as he does the WSB double at Aragon! Also this week: Your chance to get a free 20-point bike healthcheck - exclusive to MCN readers! In sport:...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 April 2013 15:24)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
steady2wheels

Sep 08

give up mcn, 600 sportsbikes are dead and for good cause, especially considering the price of them nowadays

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

free health check ?

Na....... nothings free in this world.......trust me.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

Do it yourself!

None of the 20 point checks are above the average guy in the street to do themselves. A better idea would be an article showing people how to do it themselves instead of rip-off dealers telling you things need attention when they don't to make a fast buck from your ignorance. Only things like engine management downloads, shimmed tappets and tyre changing are the things to take your bike to a dealer for, unless you are still in the warranty period. In my last three dealer visits, I've had engine oil filled too low then too high, back wheel adjusted out of alignment and incorrect tyre pressures (5psi too low on both wheels). When I mention the snags, I just get an apology and an excuse like 'Ooh, don't know how that happened, he's one of our best mechanics'.  I check everything when I get home. I'll be doing most myself once the warranty has expired. In my experience, the independent mechanics are better than the franchised dealers, the only downside is they don't have the computerised equipment and special tools.

Reply to this Topic
brevav2

Feb 09

brevav2 says:

Do It Yourself

Well said, couldnt have put it better myself, save your hard earned cash,

Reply to this Topic
josh3446

May 09

josh3446 says:

Health Check

I'd like that 20 point Health Check just not sure there'll be any dealers doing it far out in West Wales, so a How to Do It Yourself article would be really useful.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Please stop banging on about 600 sportsbikes

I'm also a bit fed up with MCN going on about 600cc sportsbikes. They might have slightly more midrange than track focused 600's of a couple of years ago but they DON'T have the omph of bigger capacity bikes.

Most riders are old enough that insurance of a 600 and 1000cc+ bike aren't that much different. ON THE ROAD - NOT THE TRACK bigger capacity bikes are slightly easier due to their gruntier nature. Enjoyment of bikes is about more than lap times as the majority of us use the bikes on the road. In those circumstances the 600's often aren't the best option.

I have a steel framed CBR600 that is adequate and might consider replacing it with a newer CBR600 up to 2002 but midrange sportsbikes later than that don't appeal. I'm equally likely to replace it with an SV650, Z800, F800 as they're probably a better option for road riding.

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

Yeah I got bored of my ZX6R after a couple years, it handles really nice but it just doesn't have the power to be a long term thing. I could hit 165mph on the thing but it just didn't get there quick enough and I want to go faster. Like once you get to that speed, you just wanna keep going lol. I was about to sell it until a truck cut me up and I went into the side of them :\ My word vs his now so I just have to hope they see the evidence because he ain't going to admit it. Hopefully if they pay out then I'll get the new ZX10R, such a lovely bike and for some reason Kawasaki's don't sell for as much as the rest.

Reply to this Topic
R6nutter6

Jan 04

R6nutter6 says:

BIKES ON THE ROAD

spondonstesays

Please stop banging on about 600 sportsbikes

I'm also a bit fed up with MCN going on about 600cc sportsbikes. They might have slightly more midrange than track focused 600's of a couple of years ago but they DON'T have the omph of bigger capacity bikes.

Most riders are old enough that insurance of a 600 and 1000cc+ bike aren't that much different. ON THE ROAD - NOT THE TRACK bigger capacity bikes are slightly easier due to their gruntier nature. Enjoyment of bikes is about more than lap times as the majority of us use the bikes on the road. In those circumstances the 600's often aren't the best option.

I have a steel framed CBR600 that is adequate and might consider replacing it with a newer CBR600 up to 2002 but midrange sportsbikes later than that don't appeal. I'm equally likely to replace it with an SV650, Z800, F800 as they're probably a better option for road riding.

Which is exactly why I sold my 2005 R1; because it was BORING on the road unless you could do 130mph plus which would result in a jail sentence. Now I'd rather take the diesel because it's far more comfortable and far less dangerous. Too many cager drivers who don't want to accept that people ride bikes so don't look out for them. The only time I'd buy another bike would be as a track bike, that's it. 18 years of riding bikes on the road made me have enough of being rated as a scumbag. Maybe if I didn't live in the UK, I would have a different opinion.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

Same old

Sadly 600 spurtbikes have never been away.

The manufacturers keep churning them out and fools with more cash than sense keep buying them.

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

600s are back say mcns motogp wannabe journalists ,still flogging a dead horse . Back on earth real bikers on real roads do not want or need small cramped sports bikes they can not and do not want to use,there are much more comfortable and practical bikes with plenty or performance for the real world.The average age of bikers in the uk is going up not down,and as for 1000cc sports bikes they are as much use as tits on a bull.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices