Skip to content

Ask an Expert 125 commuter for a new rider Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > 125 commuter for a new rider

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

anglomaniac

Apr 13

anglomaniac says:

125 commuter for a new rider

Been reading these forums and reviews for a few months (research) and would like some opinions. I’ve taken my CBT and am looking to buy a 125 as a commuter. Would appreciate input or recommendations.

My requirements are as follows:

Cost – ideally £1500 or less. Top end is £2k. For that i’d hope for less than 3 years old and under 5k on the clock. Is that reasonable??

Low ride height. I’m about 5’8” and i have a belly L

The bike is for commuting to work only, no racing, offroading etc. So probably an upright position.

Probably around 100 miles a week, and the longest ride being about 20 miles.

I do not have immediate plans to take my direct access. We have a car as a family but running a second one is expensive and the 125s seem to be the best for running costs and fuel economy. Effectively  i’m not looking for a bike for 6 months and then sell.

The Suzuki Van Van is probably best for my hobbit legs, but the lack of a fuel gauge irritates me, and the styling seems to attract a premium. There doesn’t seem to be much between the Honda CBF125 and the Yamaha YBR125.

Am I missing any obvious models? I’d happily buy an older CG125 as I prefer the styling, but all the ones within the M25 seem to have 25k on the clock.

My old man has a 1996 MZ SportStar 125 in the garage that probably wouldn’t take a lot to get going, but it hasn’t been ridden in a decade and with the death of MZ I assume parts and servicing would be a bit of an issue.

Chinese is not an option. I’ve read too much about general reliability and poor part availability. Sym is an unsure, I don’t know anyone to get an opinion.

I can get a pre reg 62 plate YBR125 for £2200 but thats a little beyond my reach.

Anyway, would love to get your expert opinions.

Anglo

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 April 2013 17:05)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
RoadieRoger

Mar 09

RoadieRoger says:

New 125cc

Find a Zontes Agent and look at their 3 models . One is bound to suit . Owners are pleased with them . They are imported by the Baotian Scooter Importer .

Reply to this Topic
Ginnelli

Mar 07

Ginnelli says:

Have you considered the Suzuki GN125, this has a low seat height and is a great bike. My mate ran one for ages. Also the Burgmann 125 scooter. I run the 200 at present and average around 70mpg on the motorways. Depends if you want gears or automatic.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices