Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

DippyEgg

Apr 13

DippyEgg says:

Wind Wipeout

Hi everyone, first post so here we go.

I recently purchased a WK125 sport. (yep, its one of them Taiwan jobs), I was riding to work this morning and all was fine, the weather forecast said it would be sunny with some gusts in the afternoon.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was completely wiped out by a strong gust of wind, thrown across the road and landed on a billboard. Luckily I was fully kitted out and the bike landed in a bush. The wind speed at the time was between 19 - 25mph (after checking on the met office site).

I managed to get home after my wipeout but it was a case of being tight gripped to my bike all the way home.

I was just wondering if anyone has experience in riding in windy weather? any top tips out there?

Thanks in advance.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 April 2013 17:56)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Wind

I just relax and go with it. Not going too fast helps too. I had to slow down today as I was getting blown all out of shape. I was doubling the speed limit at the time :lol:

Reply to this Topic
ally600

May 09

ally600 says:

high winds

i dont care what anyone says your in for a scary ride.............i found the winds that strong today that i would not take the pan onto any national speed limit roads and tried to keep it inner city...................i did have a bit of a laugh when i realised i was having a drag race with a wheelie bin at one point (it won).................my advise is try and figure out what direction its coming from and then look for when you will be exposed to it with all its might.................ie look for what directions tree's, bushes, people are being blown and then look at what shelter you have from it................like at the other end of that hill on my left im gonna catch it in all its glory................if you are expecting it to hit you then you can prepare for it..................good luck:wink:

Reply to this Topic
Duffster

Dec 08

Duffster says:

Wind wipeout

I know how you feel,I was blown of bike 3 years ago in very high winds crossing a bridge,what I learnt was try to stay calm breath,the tighter you hold the bars you loose control of steering,nice relaxed grip on bars,try not to look at road side you tend to head towards that look straight ahead were your going,don't fight the wind go with it correct your steering,go out for short rides in the wind to gain confidence,if you don't feel right go with your gut feeling and stop don't carry on till your ready and relaxed try not to let the wind put you off,but ally600 is right no likes riding in the wind. 

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Hi Dippyegg

http://littletigertracks.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/when-the-wind-blows-relax/

Hope this helps.....  Death grip is a no,no...:smile

Reply to this Topic
DippyEgg

Apr 13

DippyEgg says:

Wind

:smile

Thanks for the replies everyone, It was definitely one of those days I wont forget for a long time. I'm definitely going to take on-board all your advice, getting prepared for the winds to hit and to loosen up my death grip. Sure as hell got a fright.

This was only my 3rd day out on the bike - still loving it :sunglasses:

Thanks!

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

Braver soul

than me, I don't do the wind, a bit like electric for me, you can't see it when it gets you

Glad you are OK

Reply to this Topic
stbrewer

Aug 13

stbrewer says:

Wind

Hey, I'm new too and found myself in blistering winds on the A69, at one point being blown into the fast lane (I ride a 125cc so that's bad craiq).

I found that a relaxed grip, looking well into the road ahead and leaning slightly into the wind kept things relatively tight, also dropping your speed when your exposed and even more so when lorries come tearing past.

Hope this helps any.

Brewer

Reply to this Topic
rcraven

Nov 08

rcraven says:

wind

I think the lighter the bike the more prone to wind movement there is so a 125 or scoot hasn't much chance.  The weight of the rider can also act like a wind brake and force one across the road.  Whatever speed you do, do not try it  at twice the legal speed limit, slow down, recognise the wind direction and try to lean into it. ride in a position that if blown you are not blown off the road or into the path of anyone else. remember cars will be far less affected.  Relax and don't tense up, try and use the wind, be malleable.

If there are difficulties stop and take a break its very tiring in such weather and a cuppa would let you relax more.

Be late, better arrive later than never.

Finally at times you will be in clear air... no wind, thn u  turn a corner and straight into it, maybe sideswiped.  understand that it can and will move you so being prepared is better  than not recognising the danger and taking it into account..  same with a side street, it will blow you.

Wind in any direction but from behind will make itself known however if it is behind you that can be more dangerous, the bike sounds quieter but great. the speed is even better through the gears and before you know it you are going to fast and need to stop before hitting the bend ahead with greater effort so remember rear wind up the you know what is just as dangerous

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices