Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Trading bikes - advice please

Eh up,

I'm looking at changing my little enduro type BMW G650 X country as frankly it doesn't fit with my style of riding any more and things like the fuel tank being too small, too vibey, etc.

I'm looking at a Suzuki GSX650F as a decent all rounder with a riding position that won't hurt my back. Does anyone know of any issues with this bike or have any recommendations for something similar in approach / price that might be better?

Just for reference my current bike is about 140-150kg with 53bhp, 60nm torque and a 0-60 of about 5 seconds, doing a whole 30mph in 1st gear. It's small and (fairly) flickable but the suspension (mainly rear) is past its best and the brakes are adequate at best (ABS). Limited tyre choices due to weird sizes. Tank range was 120-130 miles but recently ran out at 100 miles (the WANKER). In part ex it's worth 2K. Servicing has cost me £650-700 every time.

I don't do many b roads anymore due to back issues and want something smoother with a better tank range and better luggage options. I also want something which would be easier to do RoSPA on than a little enduro / dual purpose. My creaky bones and joints also mean weather protection is now required. Another issue is that I could do with something where I can dial in the suspension for me light weight so ideally preload adjustment at least front and rear.

Rationale for this one is that as it's essentially a faired bandit it'll have tried and tested parts, it's smoother with the suspension adjustment I want, it'll take luggage and has adequate wind protection. The weight is a potential problem. It lacks ABS but mine has only ever kicked in when I don't want it to. The tank range is potentially above 200 miles. Performance is compressed within the 0-70 range but is 3.8 seconds to 60 and so is well useable for city riding and getting into / out of trouble. First gear tops out at around 50mph and so again suits city riding whilst being able to do longer distances. Bars give room for camera and GPS. Last Suzuki cost me £150 in servicing. Bike cost £3700 - might be able to get it lower as there are cheaper, lower milage examples on the market.

Any thoughts / criticisms?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (16 April 2013 23:00)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
dave_c

Aug 06

dave_c says:

Sounds like

you've done your homework and come up with a good choice. I've not heard anyone who owns a 650F say anything negative about them, unless it's that they're a wee bit on the heavy side.

Have you considered the Honda CBF600, or what many people say is the best bike in this class, the Kawasaki ER6F?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

phile

stop poncing about and get a Busa.....:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I were

looking at buying one, couldn't find one in my price range locally, and finally landed up with a 4 year old Fazer 600 for £3500.

Have heard stories of sidestands tucking on these Suzukis - maybe something to look into if you're likely to struggle getting the bugger back up.

The Fazer, whilst half-faired (fairing lowers are available at a price), has its fair share of complainants about wind noise; I find it's fine up to 70mph and only becomes an issue above that (by 90 it is really bloody irritating). That said, it did save me from a scamera while belting down the A1...

What sort of budget are you looking at, and have you considered insurance?

Reply to this Topic
steve icbinb

Aug 02

steve icbinb says:

trading

VStrom DL650 - does almost everything - and cheap to run

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Will

Have a gander at the v strom and fazr. The er6f has some vibration issues and isn't quite as pokey. It is more efficient though. Not heard about side stand issue so will look into it. Cheers all. 

Reply to this Topic
bikedoctor4u

Apr 13

bikedoctor4u says:

a

1200 bandit would do the trick, comfy lots of torque and pleasure to ride.. and cheap enough to find second hand, and bullet proof engines.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices