Skip to content

Discuss This Are you interested by the TT Zero electric race? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Are you interested by the TT Zero electric race?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Are you interested by the TT Zero electric race?

Whether you like it or not, electric bikes will be part of the future of motorcycling and they're alreadyheld a couple of electric races at the TT. But is anyone bothered about the one lap electric race? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 April 2013 11:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jimmysp2

Sep 12

jimmysp2 says:

tt zero bikes

get back to racing motorbikes and put this crap back in a box !

Reply to this Topic
SensibleSteve

Feb 10

>> Whether you like it or not, electric bikes will be part of the future of motorcycling ...

Really? I reckon only a very small part! When will it be more than, say, 10% retail sales? My bet is not for a goodly while yet!

At the moment it's hard to think of a viable electro-bike alternative to anything 500-650cc++. Bikes are mainly bought as summer toys by people who find alternative means of transport in cold or wet weather. Until batteries are developed to contain energy density similar to octane, it's the veggie, quiche eating Prius crowd (few in number) who'll be buying these.

Reply to this Topic
TrumpetTriple

Aug 02

MMnn

While the technology is clever and fascinating for me racing is all about the noise and atmoshere, screaming engines tortured to the limit, not a super fast two wheeled milk float, electric road bikes that are of any use, i:e can do 200 miles to a charge are bloody years away.... 

Reply to this Topic
AlexDAbomB69

Feb 13

AlexDAbomB69 says:

They could hand out headphones like at a silent disco so when a bike passes you get the sound of any bike made at full chat. Right where's that patent document I am on to something here. You ain't read this, right?

Reply to this Topic
Tetley

Aug 02

Tetley says:

Plug and (no)Play

Now let's think about this ... TT means Tourist Trophy... Can you go touring on a bike with only 100 mile range ? ...  Hmmmm ,,,, NO ! 

Too many logistical impossibilities.

What a pointless exercise on a machine that no-one asked for.

Racing Raleigh Runabouts would make more sense.

Reply to this Topic
geoffb61

Sep 08

geoffb61 says:

100 years ago they said there was no point racing those new fangled infernal combustion contraptions because they would never replace the horse.

What starts with racing eventually ends up on the road and if electric means that we can stay on two wheels then I'm all for it.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

nope.

Reply to this Topic
MrGiggle

Nov 12

MrGiggle says:

I may not be that interested in ever owning an Electric bike/car but its great to see how advanced they are!

Reply to this Topic
CBR11X

Sep 10

CBR11X says:

The Future is Electric!

Typical narrow minded views. Like geoffb61 said, 100 years ago they thought the 'infernal' engine wouldn't replace the horse. Electric motors are the future. Instantaneous power, constant and maximal torque from 1 rpm to 50,000+ rpm. One moving part as opposed to 100+ moving parts. What's not to like about them? In 5 years they will have a 200+mile range and service stations will be then have to be reconverted to battery swap stations. They will have to limit the torque and rpm range for safety reasons if anything. Go to yourtube and look up the "killacycle". I estimate within 10 years the electric bikes will lap the TT course faster than their petrol cousins.

Reply to this Topic
Big_Boomer

Oct 05

Big_Boomer says:

No more petrol

So, what are all you nay sayers going to ride when the petrol runs out? Some of the younger people on here may live to see that day. I reckon I may live to see the £5 litre. Electric is almost certainly the future of motorcycling. Where the power comes from is still up for debate. Batteries -probably not, Fuel cells - maybe, micro-Fusion reactors - YEAH,... but very unlikely. Most sportsbikes these days rarely do more than 100 miles a day and most commuter bikes do about the same. Yes, we will need a longer distance option but they'll figure that out. The earliest bikes had no power (in 1910 4Bhp was high power!), very limited range and poor comfort. 130+ years on and the infernal combustion engine has passed it's peak and is in decline. I would imagine the same rise and fall will happen to the electric bike,..and to it's successor. Will we be around to see it? Unlikely!

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices