Skip to content

Discuss This Are you interested by the TT Zero electric race? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Are you interested by the TT Zero electric race?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Are you interested by the TT Zero electric race?

Whether you like it or not, electric bikes will be part of the future of motorcycling and they're alreadyheld a couple of electric races at the TT. But is anyone bothered about the one lap electric race? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 April 2013 11:47)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

I don't believe anyone alive today will see the end of petrol. The Americans are said to be sitting on hundreds of years of fuel in the Black Mountains alone and won't touch it till everyone else has run out. Can't see garages sitting on piles of charged up batteries. Who would charge them and how many would they get through in a day, and thats in all garages?! Charging the batteries is the big problem. Pushing the charge quicker means a lot of heat so thats out. And my conspiracy theory is that you won't see any developments in alternative power as long as there is petrol because there is too much money to be made. When petrol does run out, you will suddenly see amazing alternatives pop up to replace them as they won't be a competitor any more.

Reply to this Topic
burningbush

Jul 09

burningbush says:

tiz the future

Well like it or not our future of travel lies in electric vehicles. Just as film was replaced by digital media, it'll happen. Bring it on, then we can tell our grand kids 'I remember the first electric.............'

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

'tizn't.

ttracetalk makes a good point; "It's still very exciting to see what is now the only pure prototype racing class left in the modern TT."

Apart from that I think elecric vehcles are a cul-de-sac for three reasons.

First, battery technology hasn't and won't achieve the required light weight, range and lifespan to make electric bikes a significant part of the future of motorcycling.

Second, how do you think all that electricity will be generated in the first place? With fossil fuels, in the main, creating energy reasonably cleanly in power stations but then partially lost downstream on its way to the vehicle, nullifying that efficiency.

Thirdly and chiefly, there is no need to discard a century or so of internal combustion technology (and fuel delivery) when we can have bio-fuels created by microbial digestion of waste materials. That's the future, I reckon, not electric.

Oh, and they'll be hover bikes too. :winkie::lol:

Edit to add a link:  Audi and biofuels from microbes.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

It's a no from me

I watched an electric support race to the world endurance boys last year in Germany. With their silent whoosh they were dull. The only semblance of excitement came from their differing power usage strategies as some fell back whilst others moved forward and some just plain stopped. 

There's plenty of life yet in the internal combustion engines. Technology is a long way from peaked. Burn efficiencies have quite some way to go yet. Just look at Motogp from 26 litres, to 24, to 22, to now 21 litres. Clever people engineers.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

Fossil fuel is not done by a long way,manufactures will develop far more fuel efficient engines[ well cars will,i do not think bike makers have got the message yet]. Electric bike and cars will remain a side show unless someone comes up with a battery a hundred times more powerful. so all you right on greens put your lentil soup down and go save your beards off because the fossil fuel party is not over yet.

Reply to this Topic
ian749

Nov 11

ian749 says:

not for me

has anyone looked at how much pollution making and de-comissioning the batteries,and charging these electric vehicles is created?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices