Skip to content

BMW Living with the BMW F800GT F800GT

You are in... Forums > BMW > F800GT > Living with the BMW F800GT

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Anonymous

Steve Hunt  says:

Living with the BMW F800GT

After a month of ownership and a few emails and messages coming in from people who’ve read my longterm reports in the MCN paper I thought it would be a good start to this blog if I responded to these queries here – mainly because I am sure that the questions asked and their answers would be of interest to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (17 April 2013 11:50)

Post a message in F800GT

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Servicing...

6000 service for an 800R was £115 so expect a tad more for removal of the fairing.

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

So in other words.....

..the bike is actually shite, you just have to defend it because you have one to try on test and don't want to upset the BMW boffins.... My mate had one (not the GT version) and it was ok at best, no guts on the motorway only 110 mph flat, good for cornering on roundabouts and twisty roads alike but other than that not much to right home about really.

In the last year or so i have spoken to several different motorcycle shops about BMW's including the S1000RR, i have to say that not very good reviews at all about them, reports of unreliability, breaking down, and bits not working as they should? so why the uphoria about BMW's in the magazines?

Reminds me of Ducati's, arguably the sexiest looking bike on the planet but no good if it does not work or breaks down everytime you want to go for a ride. The new Multistrada had a fuel gauge which was about as accurate as lobbing a rock into the north sea.......why?

Reply to this Topic
huntyhunt

Dec 12

huntyhunt says:

All good so far...

No Homer40 - it's a good, solid experience so far. Certainly not 'sh&*e' at all! I can't comment on the reliability of the bike because I've only had it a month, but our review by Andy Downes last month rated it pretty highly and so do those of other publications. I can't comment precisely on motorway speeds but it'll certainly do more than you've quoted and with room left on the top end to do more... I'm certainly not scared of upsetting BMW - this is the reason we have these machines on test, to run the rough with the smooth and the good with the bad. The simple fact is that a month in and the F800GT has proved to be nothing less than a great, sporty little tourer with great handling and some good, solid features.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Homer...

I've ridden the ST which is well capable of 130+... I prefer the little extra power the chaindriven R gives which combined with reduced weight gives a slightly higher top speed. Low down the motor is faultless in my book (for an 800 twin) & extemely economic.

"good for cornering on roundabouts and twisty roads alike but other than that not much to right home about really."

So I'm guessing with this & your (incorrect) comment about 110mph you're only interested in straights yeah? Thank god for motorways eh?

"Reminds me of Ducati's, arguably the sexiest looking bike on the planet "

In what way?... the GT, to me, looks dead ugly (another reason I went for the R, which is still far from the prettiest bike on the planet)... each to their own though.

Reply to this Topic
tonygriffiths

Dec 09

I'm sure you'll be happy with your F800GT. It's an interesting combination of a very torquey engine - hardly any need to change down to make rapid progress - excellent fuel economy; superb handling and outstanding brakes. In the USA, Motorcycle Consumer Magazine (the one that won't take advertisements) found a top speed of 140 m.p.h. and, taking it easy, a fuel consumption of over 70 miles per (Imperial) gallon. That top-speed test is, incidentally, the only one I've seen for the bike. (http://www.shopanimalnetwork.com/productbackissue.aspx?pid=716 ) I've had an ST for a couple of years - a new GT arrives this week - and used it for many long European trips, typically to MotoGT races and on holiday; carefully monitored, the fuel consumption averaged 68 m.p.g. running at just under the Autoroute speed limit and with a good number of miles covered through the Alps and on back roads. I'm hoping that my new GT will have a more comfortable seat - I had to buy a Sargant for the ST - and we'll see how the(still relatively high) footrests are. I fitted a lower set on the ST and, apparently, the same ones can be used on the GT. Of course, if you're a young blood and want a screaming 600 (with zero flywheel effect that makes it difficult in traffic but a delight on the track), it's not the bike for you - but in all other respects it's a fine job. As somebody else pointed out, its power-to-weight ratio is the same as a Lamborghini Murcielagi - so, even if in bike terms it doesn't "shrink the horizon", it's still pretty quick. Don't take any notice of comments from the sort of person who scatters apostrophes around like confetti and writes rubbish such as "... my mate's would only do 110 m.p.h." - the advice there would be to encourage said mate to take his bike for some urgent attention. For interesting reading about the F800 range from people with lots of experience (some have covered very high mileages)it's worth spending some time going through the reports at: http://f800riders.org/forum/forum.php It's all there, the good, the bad and the ugly. Happy riding.

Reply to this Topic
Homer40

Nov 10

Homer40 says:

How do you...

.....Come to the conclusion i like motorways hedgehog5???/

I said the bike was good for cornering on roundabouts and twisties alike, Can you please enlighten me as to how that translates to liking motorways?

I have obviously ridden one on both thats how i know, i currently ride a blade 07, next you will be telling me the GT or the R is better than that.

For my experience with BMW, they are not as good as some make out...end of! People on here going on about MPG and 140mph, if your worried about such things buy a pushbike.

For the record, my mates bike (which he does not have now sold for Honda CB1000R) would not do 140mph if it fell off a cliff so i think you have got some shit in your eyes there.

Reply to this Topic
yaki

Apr 13

yaki says:

Nice bike,just a little bit dull looking. Have bmw not herd of chrome.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Homer...

You said...

"good for cornering on roundabouts and twisty roads alike but other than that not much to right home about really."

... motorways aren't twisty roads... on non-twisty roads it's "not much to right home about really"... now you've said "they are not as good as some make out" ... good on corners but not as good overall kind of implies you rate a bike on its straight line ability... oh, forget it, it's not that complicated.

"i currently ride a blade 07, next you will be telling me the GT or the R is better than that."

Not at all if that's what you want... the GT is better than it in several areas (price, fuel economy, tank range, maybe comfort, real world usability, factory touring accessories), but obviously worse in several others (top speed, power, handling)... horses for courses. Buy a pushbike? It's your problem if you can't tolerate someone riding a different type of bike... it must be the cause of a lot of frustration for you.

"I have obviously ridden one on both thats how i know, "

I have also ridden the Blade & the ST on track & road... neither are for me... as said, if all you could get out of it was 110mph then it needed attention or was pretty much ready for that cliff drop... but an experienced rider like yourself would know that a bike capable of 130mph+ should be able to go above 110... yeah? A service might have changed your whole perspective... or maybe not.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
tonygriffiths

Dec 09

The bike that the highly respected Motorcycle Consumer Magazine tested was, of course an ST, not the more powerful GT. It's not for me to question their findings - but should you need confirmation of their rigorous testing methods, and their other most interesting top-speed figures for a wide range of motorcycles, you'll have to buy a back copy.... you might be amazed at what they've discovered. It's certainly not contained in any way by "merde". Ah! Bicycles - indeed..... Did you know that the energy in a ham sandwich translates into 27 flat miles on a bicycle - and that the calories burned gives a figure equal to about 487 m.p.g. Interesting, eh?. Indeed, your friend's bike would not attain 140 m.p.h. in free-fall - it's never quite as fast as one might think: the calculated maximum speed of a bicycle and rider comes out at approximately 115 m.p.h - with, of course, a rider and motorcycle (being larger and with greatly increased drag) even slower.

Reply to this Topic
tinktonk

Jan 09

tinktonk says:

This bike is obviously targeted at people who use a bike as a transport, not those who think there's a riding season. To any hobby rider: economy is seriously important when a bike isn't a toy. A bike such as this one means it's also possible to buy something fun to play with on those few days a year when the hobby riders are out. Finding something which is amusing as day-to-day transport - and a Blade isn't, by the way - makes a serious difference to the daily quality of life for anyone who is in the saddle every day, in every weather, when there's no option other than to ride something. So - if the choice is between bus/train and an bike which is cheap to run and only fun in every situation other than illegal ones, what would you pick? Oh, hello F800.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices