You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Technical > Clutch cushion rubbers

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

chickenlips1

Apr 13

chickenlips1 says:

Clutch cushion rubbers

Does anyone know what material clutch cushion rubbers are made from. I have a Honda TRX450r with worn clutch cushions and nobody makes them. I just brought a wiseco basket but will have to use the old cushions. I cant find anything on the web that helps me. I've spoken to a rubber company that might be able to make them, but I know it wont be cheap. I also need to know what sort of temps the gearbox runs at too so they can get an idea of what sort of material to use. With it being a race quad i guess it runs a little hotter than a road bike. Hope someone can help as I've hit at a brick wall at the moment...

Thanks
Justin

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 April 2013 09:44)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda TRX 450R QUAD ATV,What Year?

Hi Chickenlips and welcome to the site:smile

First thing,why have you gone down this much harder track buying a incomplete after market clutch basket???? was it the cost?or unavailability of the parts were you are??.(just reuse the old cush rubbers,why do you want to replace them with something you don't know?? I think a new basket in UK should be around £400 could be way off there though?.If your replacing the clutch basket with a after market one such as WISECO you should have been supplied with new countersunk ALLEN bolts,which will replace the rivets, you will need to drill the rivets out of the old basket keeping the basket drive gear on which also house the cush rubbers and back lash springs(in some cases).Then you may well need to remove the steel centre bush or kick start gear,heat the old basket up and with a brass or aluminium drift knock it out(if you have a puller or a press even better) .Chuck the new basket in the oven on full for about half an hour,this is to expand the metal of the basket so the steel bush or kick start gear can be refitted with no effort,if you put the bush-kick-gear in the fridge it will just full in.Let everything cool down naturally and you will find it set firm.Then refit the cush rubbers into the new basket,put the drive gear back on and with some thread lock on all the new Allen bolts(THIS IS A MUST)tighten the bolts in a cross configuration(should have a recommended torque setting with the kit? if not no more than 10 ft lb ) Refit new clutch back to engine.Good Luck,hope this makes sense,not great at explaining things sometimes:upset:

KCMC:tongue:  

Reply to this Topic
chickenlips1

Apr 13

chickenlips1 says:

Clutch cushions

Hi. Thanks for your reply:smile. The reason i have gone for a after market basket is that i believe them to be a better basket. My old basket has grooves where the plates touch the basket. The reason for the grooves is worn clutch cushions which i can't get for this quad.Thats why i need to replace them or i will just end up with the same problem. I have filed the grooves down, but theirs only so many times you can do this.

Thanks for your reply:smile

Justin

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Honda TRX 450R QUAD ATV,What Year?

Hi again Chick, still don't know what year your Quad is mate?:upset:

Done many of these replacements over the year(on mainly moto X bikes)it seems like your right no one seems to do replacement clutch cush for your model(this is why i need the year)if i were you i would strip it down fit the old cush and new basket and  drive gear and see if there's any play with the new basket,if there is then you will need to shim it with something(i would use soft nylon strips to keep it light and in balance?) but you could be surprised and find there is no play now?.My Bro is Mechanicing in a Main Honda Dealership so will ask him when am in touch again.Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Check this out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CRF450-R-03-08-Clutch-Basket-Cushions-Rubbers-/170651613508?forcev4exp=true&item=170651613508&vxp=mtr

http://www.barnettclutches.com/products/basket_cushions.aspx

Reply to this Topic
chickenlips1

Apr 13

chickenlips1 says:

Clutch cushions

Hi. Thanks for your help. My quad is a 2005. I know that the rekluse clutches do some brass shims to help with this problem, but I'm not sure how long this would fix the problem for as my cushions are really bad. I've tried the crf route, but they are different. Mine are a U shape and the crf ones are sort of round. I've read on forums in the usa, that they buy new oem baskets and strip them, just for the cushions to put in aftermarket baskets! I dont really want to go down that route as parts here in the uk can cost up to double than they do in the usa. Maybe its looking that way!!

Thanks for your help again:smile

Justin

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices