Skip to content

General Which 125 to choose? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Which 125 to choose?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

turkeylegs

Apr 13

turkeylegs says:

Which 125 to choose?

Hi everyone, Im new here but thought Id say hi and ask something at the same time. Im 51 and used to ride bikes in my late teens and into my twenties, but marriage and life stopped me til now :) 

I weigh 17 stone and am six foot tall mainly longer in the torso than my 29 inch leg measurement. My problem is that I cant decide what to get in a couple of months, just in time for summer I hope? I have a budget of up to three thousand for something reliable not a racer and big enough to handle myself and a passenger now and then, for commuting and weekends too, also trying to keep maintanance and insurance costs down, any advice welcome and much appreciated, thanks :)

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (18 April 2013 16:51)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

A 125 for a 17 stone rider and a pillion, now that is a big ask.

If you have a full licence then get something bigger 750+, if not then you won't be taking a pillion, so my choice would be a Honda 125 Varadero, Honda build quality, holds it price and large enough for a 17 stone frame.

Hope this helps :smile

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

best 125

ive got a ktm duke 125 and i love it. Yamahas WR125X  might be worth a try. but it might be a bit tall for 29in leg.

im 15 stone and the duke is great. Could do with stiffing up suspension a little. You might find also

If you just want to get a 125 and your not bothered about looking current or you want to save money. Then maybe look at a CG 125 or YBR. They should still have enough guts to pull you along

CGs and theyre varients are workhorses all over the world and are used to transport loads

Reply to this Topic
turkeylegs

Apr 13

turkeylegs says:

which 125 to choose

Thanks for the reply guys. Iv had a look at the ybr and like the sound of it, lots of reliability and cheap to run reviews :smile But they all seem years old the reviews, I cant seem to find reviews about this bike fort his year?, any links would be great cheers :smile

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Has been debated

Before :smile

Reply to this Topic
lenb

Jun 03

lenb says:

Varadaro

I am a fat git about 18 sone (ish) am on my daughters YBR 125 today. If I were you and looking for a 125, a Honda Varadaro would be my choice adventure styling good road pressence with a genuine 125 twin. I think this is the only one that will tick all your boxes. All 125s will struggle with apillion IMO.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bravo9

Jan 09

bravo9 says:

what 125

my son turns 17 in august so we are thinking of going halves on a 125, i'm 6 foot 1 and weigh 15 stone . his mate has a wr125x which i had a spin on and felt real nice and looks real good. think the super moto's sit nice and tall.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

bravo9...

the cheapest one you can find...let's face it at 17 years old he'll be bored with it in 6 months.Save the money for a bigger bike when he passes his test....that's the trouble with 125  varederos,you'll struggle to find one that isn't a damaged/repairable for less than 1500 quid and most are nearer two and an half.

Reply to this Topic
turkeylegs

Apr 13

turkeylegs says:

Which 125 to choose

I've taken a look at the Honda but at more than four grand too expensive. What's the biggest 125 in the three thou or less price range ?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Your still better off

with a secondhand Varadero, Yamaha WR125R or WR125X (all available for less than 3k) than some new cheap Chinese shite imo, if that's what you're asking in a roundabout way :unsure:

If you don't want Jap :wacko: then  maybe a Derbi Terra Adventure?

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

when I said cheapest...

what I meant was an older Japanese model.Spares are still plentiful at reasonable prices for them too....and I was referring to a bike for bravo9's lad...turkeylegs, you'd be best going straight to DAS and getting a bigger bike.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices