General Tow-a-bike General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Tow-a-bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bobsnicholson

Aug 02

Tow-a-bike

Looking for any info relating to towing a bike (shaft drive)

I was considering buying a second big bike to take to Spain as i cannot find a suitable dealer in my area of Alicante for the model i want.
I have to take lot's of stuff next trip so NEED to go in the car.
Rather than buy a bike here to take it would make sense to take my Wing (again). I have seen this system, Tow-A-bike. Basically it's a bracket that fit's to the tow bar of the car, the front wheel of the bike is secured to the bracket and the bike is towed on the rear wheel.
My main question IS, "can a shaft drive bike be towed in this manor safely with no damage to the bike".
I do have a normal single bike trailer and have indeed used it several times, however it's a nightmare, bouncing about (even with the weight of a Wing/RT on it).
Would be grateful for any constructive comments.
:winkie:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 363 days ago (21 April 2013 09:50)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

Bob

found this article, I wouldn't fancy it myself.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/64088-towing-bike-behind-vehicle-not-trailering-2.html

PS: Peter Zwann has the 750 Moto Guzzi still. 5,750 euros I saw it on Thursday it's very clean and low km's.

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Bike towing

Any trailer (and that will include a bike dolly) that weighs over 750kgs MUST have overrun brakes fitted.
Also, any trailer with brakes fitted (ie, the bike) the brakes MUST work..

That means that's it not legal to tow a bike like that..

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

Guzzi

Thanks Vulc, interesting. I seem to remember something a few years ago about towing a shaft drive, this is why i have asked the question now.

TBH i am keen on the new California or Duke Diavel Strada (someone on here will have something to say). The nearest M.G. dealer in Alicante is a back street outfit, i have been and didn't like what i saw.
Looked on The Honda handbook and nowt about towing.
Let's see what happens.:smiley: 

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

weight

Eatcs01,

The "Tow-a-bike" system is a bracket that fit's to the tow bar plate. It's weighs about 20/25kgs, the bike (mine) weighs about 390ks + - therefore i am advised it does not need the braking system. The system is sold and used in UK. 
If i was clever enough i could put a link to the company that makes them, but i am not. Many thanks for your input, appreciated.

Reply to this Topic
old(ish)git

Apr 08

old(ish)git says:

not cheap...

but may be a better option.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

bob

get on the Wing and tow yer car....simples:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

yes

Smidget, yes that's the one. In theory it would suit me, BUT, concerned about the mechanical s of the shaft when towing long fast distance.

Snev. like your thinking, was also thinking a roof rack to put the bike on :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

bob

you could always buy a Ducati.....they come with handy "sky hooks":smiley:

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

Bob

With regards to towing a shaft driven bike I can see no problem when looking at it from a mechanical view point and as far as I am aware there is no difference to the setup of an car with a manual gearbox.

It is only when you get to Automatic gearboxes that you get clutch and band wear problems, if memory serves me well you can tow an automatic car but you must remain above 30MPH.

As you are towing the bike then the differential will not be getting overheated as there is no excessive heat generation due to any power being transferred through the crown wheel and pinion so I would not have a worry myself.

Can you remember where you got this information from?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle