General Tow-a-bike General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Tow-a-bike

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bobsnicholson

Aug 02

Tow-a-bike

Looking for any info relating to towing a bike (shaft drive)

I was considering buying a second big bike to take to Spain as i cannot find a suitable dealer in my area of Alicante for the model i want.
I have to take lot's of stuff next trip so NEED to go in the car.
Rather than buy a bike here to take it would make sense to take my Wing (again). I have seen this system, Tow-A-bike. Basically it's a bracket that fit's to the tow bar of the car, the front wheel of the bike is secured to the bracket and the bike is towed on the rear wheel.
My main question IS, "can a shaft drive bike be towed in this manor safely with no damage to the bike".
I do have a normal single bike trailer and have indeed used it several times, however it's a nightmare, bouncing about (even with the weight of a Wing/RT on it).
Would be grateful for any constructive comments.
:winkie:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 364 days ago (21 April 2013 09:50)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

information

Smidget, years ago i was considering a similar system to tow a BM i had at the time. The grey matter is failing but i remember being told "don't tow, put it on a trailer or you will wreck the drive"

Vulc posted a useful link to sustain this (although 2005).
What you say makes sense.
Might be worth me phoning Honda for clarification.

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Bob

I'm not convinced.

The spanish police don't even regognise tow bars that are not installed by the factory.  I suspect they will have a total fit if they see this!  At the very least, you will need a certificate of conformity to keep them happy.  The last thing you need, is to have it taken off the road in Bilbao. :upset:

Reply to this Topic
bobsnicholson

Aug 02

right

NC, forgot about the Guardia angle. Took bikes on trailers many times over the years and never been stopped by them. It would be a risk not worth taking with this bracket thing.

Thanks to all who gave opinions.
Well, decided, it's a new bike then:smile 

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

Nose weight?

What is the max towing nose weight suggested for your car?

I guess the shaft drive having it's own oil shouldn't be a problem.

But the Gearbox! Does it get oil pumped around it without the engine running? I think not.

I would have thought the Tow-A-Bike system would be more suitable for a low to mid weight bike with the chain removed. Only practical with a spring link.

Reply to this Topic
52 Black Shadow

Apr 03

Tow a Bike...................

I have one of these, and use it quite a lot to tow my little KTM's.  I've towed my 1200GS with it a couple of times, but it felt like it was putting a real strain on the towbar, and the front end of the car went light.

Wouldn't recommend it for the witght of a Goldwing, nor for such a long journey.

regardsing the oil circulation in the gearbox, with the engine not running, I understood the oil was thrown around by the turning gears, not pumped by the engine, but I could be wrong.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

As

you will be towing the bike with the gearbox in neutral there is no issue.

If the bike were in gear (you don't tow any vehicle whilst it is in gear unless in an effort to tow start it) then you would have the engine turning and the oil pump being engine driven would be pumping the oil round the engine.

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

The transmission........

will still be turning when neutral is engaged. Unless you disconnect it from the rear wheel.

The transmission on most modern bikes is pressure fed oil, same way the rest of the motor is lubricated.

The old classic stuff with separate gearboxes had their own oil so wouldn't be a problem.

Reply to this Topic
vulcanrider

Aug 05

vulcanrider says:

Ups and downs

of buying a bike in Spain. I've looked around and find their prices are higher but, it's a bit six and two three's, buy a bike here at higher cost compared to the UK or buy one cheaper in the UK and have to do the import thing ? replace the headlight unit if it's a UK dip beam unless you get one with a flat beam, the emmisions tax at 14% of what you paid for it, have a technical inspection done on it at an ITV centre. When the time comes I'm undecided what I'll do, if you bring in a UK registered bike the import isn't difficult if the bike has all the EU conformity stuff on it.

Reply to this Topic
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

KS

The transmission........

will still be turning when neutral is engaged. Unless you disconnect it from the rear wheel.

Manual gearbox does not require the drive shaft being removed, this is only for automatic gearboxes when being towed, only automatic gearboxes have transmission oil pumps fitted as oil pressure is used to operate the clutches and bands and the valveblock components.

The transmission on most modern bikes is pressure fed oil, same way the rest of the motor is lubricated.

52 Black Shadow is correct in his thinking it is the spinning of the gears which picks up the oil from the sump and distributes it throughout the gearbox area just as it is with separate gearboxes. 

Reply to this Topic
KrismusSikpunz

Mar 12

Smidget, check out the link.........

Check link showing oil feed to gearbox.

Piggy-back gearboxes?
As fitted to many bikes nowadays all get pressure fed oil.

I am aware of many old school bikes where this method of towing would not be a problem due to various methods of lubrication.

Personally I would only use that Tow-A-Bike for short emergency breakdown recovery of light to medium size bikes.

Each to their own.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle