Skip to content

General Insurance company's for 33HP restricted bikes General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Insurance company's for 33HP restricted bikes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Restricted

Apr 13

Restricted says:

Insurance company's for 33HP restricted bikes

Hi all. My dilemma is becoming a nightmare that I hope some one on here can help me with.

Last Febuary (2012) I passed my A restricted motorcycle licence. So after a few weeks of collecting quotes for restricting bikes from 600cc-750cc, I have been saving for my new restricted motorbike while I have been riding my 125 for the last 15 months.
Anyway now I have bought the bike, the pi55ing online insurance company's I originally got quotes from last year, will not insure me on line.(Gocompare, moneys avers and Ebike)
I think I know what the problem is, the drop boxes on the quote pages will not recognise my licence because of the rule change this January (2013). In the drop box it has A,A1 and A2 ect, so it's my guess the online methods are confused with me clicking the A boxes as well as me being 19.
So my question is simple. Does anyone with actual experience in this matter have company's in mind that actually DO insure 33 restricted licence holders that I can phone.
Please only company's that do, because I don't want to spend 30 minutes on the phone talking to a robot operator just for him to say they don't insure restricted licence.
Thanks very much for any help in this matter. Steve

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (21 April 2013 18:36)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Previously

before this new stuff came in, you never told them it was a restricted licence - it was just accepted that it was obvious that if you'd done the restricted test then you'd be restricted from the outset for two years.

As far as I'm aware the restriction is more a licence issue - i.e. the insurance company just insures the bike whilst you tell them which test you did. They will tell you that you must be riding in accordance with a licence which is where having the restriction in place comes in. Mine never mentioned the restriction itself in the insurance company stuff and it'd be mad for them to say they don't insure restricted licences as it's a huge market.

eBike have a drop down where you select which type of entitlement you have. From my experience under the previous system you just select this to indicate which type of test you did and you're away.

I hope this helps but I suspect it won't.

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

I think

the only way is to call them and in the first instant make it clear what's has happened.

Insurance companies are notorious for moving the goal posts

Please keep us updated as there will be a few more in your position

Reply to this Topic
Restricted

Apr 13

Restricted says:

This will cause problems to others

I did all the drop down boxes with Ebike ect. Two of the messages I got from the comparison sites at the end informed me that they were unable to quote me due to age and licence type. I have searched all the forums but it seems that 33 restricted are almost forgotten. This will cause problems with the young 33 hp people.

I for see that because of the changes this may cause problems with anyone bellow 24 years old insuring a big bike even without the restriction. I bet the computer will wonder why a say 20 year old is riding a 750 or a thou.
It seems that the insurance and Europe is determined to destroy the young bikers and biking in general in the UK.
Now I wonder why so many ride and drive cars without insurance, most not from lack of trying I bet.
Any way back to the subject and question regarding phone numbers. Steve

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

it may be just

that a restriction comes under modifications, would that help??

Reply to this Topic
Restricted

Apr 13

Restricted says:

Ebike has the restriction box

Yes I have ticked the boxes. Trust me when I say everything has been checked and ticked correctly.

The problem I have described is a real one. Anyone can go onto any of the websites and see for them selfs. I have made no mistakes even my dad who has riden for along time has checked it over. He is as baffled as my self.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Best advice

try ringing insurers rather than using websites.

I've used Aviva for years and their staff have (mostly) been pretty good and fairly clued up; try them.

Reply to this Topic
StealthSV

Feb 08

StealthSV says:

What bike are you trying to insure?

Check in the small print about power to weight ratios. 

Whereas before you could restrict anything, say an R1, down to 33bhp and away you go, now there are power to weight rules based on the original bike.. Therefore pretty much any bike that has more than about 55bhp as standard will be uninsurable to yourself..

As others have said tho, hit the phones.. It's the only way! And get used to the idea of spending a couple of hours on the phone every year if you wanna keep getting the best deals......

Reply to this Topic
oscarthegrouch

Oct 05

what 125

you been riding ????????? i'm curious:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
Restricted

Apr 13

Restricted says:

stelthsv

Thanks to every one for their input.  Stelth I think that you may have that wrong. The power ro weight ratio applys to restricted licences after jan 2013. From all the information I have read over the last year, the licences stay the same if taken before jan 2013. I have never read anything that says pre jan 2013 restricted bikes are affected in any way, only new post jan 2013. However if you could point me in the direction via a link that confirms what you suggested that would be great.

I know the power to weight rule applys to the new A2 licence, but not the old pre 2013 33 restricted bikes. 
Yes I will ring, but it seems that there has only been one recommendation onnthis thread. Its clear that no company really specializes in 33 restricted.  Thanks again. Steve

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
queen bodecia

Oct 02

Licenses...

The new licensing rules do not apply to people who have already passed their tests. So if you passed your test before Jan 2013 on a 125 you still have a 2 year 33bhp restriction from the date of passing your test. From Jan 2013 the 33bhp restriction has disappeared to be replaced with the new rules.

Bikes with 33bhp restriction (either a restrictor kit or a bike that falls into this category without restriction) have been totally insurable since the previous rules were introduced over 15 years ago and nothing has changed in that respect.

Yes you might find that certain aggregator websites are geared towards the new legislation and don't include the previous legislation but if you ring round the insurance companies instead (many have freephone numbers) you'll be sure to get cover.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices