Skip to content

Ask an Expert First fun 125? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > First fun 125?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Vicstress

Apr 13

Vicstress says:

First fun 125?

Hi guys,

I'm a 35 year old 5'6 women who's taking their CBT on Friday.  I had a bit of a shocker 2 years ago and fell off during my CBT.....in my defence I was put on a 500 and dropped the bike at a junction whilst the instructor was shouting at me and changing his mind on where we were going (was being examined by the DSA at the same time!)

Anyway, that's all history so decided to give it another go on Friday - will be taking on a 125 that I can get my feet flat on so I know I'll feel much safer.

Started looking at reviews for bikes and a bit lost on what to buy.  OH has a 600 ninja which he'll come out on me with and the aim is that I ride a 125 this summer, get some experience, then do my big bike test next Spring.

Bikes that have caught my eye have been the Honda CBF125 and the CBR125.  It will purely be for fun but we will be out on the open road so I've had to not go for the Suzuki Van Van which I really liked the look of....apparently they're notoriously slow though?  Also liking the KTM Duke.

Anyway, any advice much appreciated - I'm really not sure whether I'm going to prefer a more upright or sportier styled bike as I've only ever ridden more upright so that doesn't really help the process!  I think forgiving and economical are top of the list but something that can get above 60 at a push!

Thanks all.

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 April 2013 10:02)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

What budget

are you looking at?

I would say at the moment a more upright bike is probably a better bet than sporty; you want (need) a bike you can get on with, plus 4-stroke 125s will have broadly similar performance anyhow, so "sporty" won't be much of a gain.

Have a look at the old Honda CG125 - cheap as chips, insurance about as low as it's possible to get, loads of spares available, a doddle to fix if you have a problem (very rare), and being naked it'll be less of an expensive headache if / when dropped ("sporty" bikes covered in plastic can be eye-watering here).

Reply to this Topic
Vicstress

Apr 13

Vicstress says:

Bikes

Thanks......yes I am starting to agree re. the upright, particularly when I'm looking at a street triple or similar once I've done my big bike test next year.

I think for me it's important that I don't get bored with the bike so am looking at the CBF and the Duke.....both of which seem to hold their price relatively well if you don't buy brand new?

Re. budget probably £1000 to £2000....have considered the van van too, which I really like but doesn't get the best reviews

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Meatbingo

Jun 12

Meatbingo says:

125's

You can't go far wrong with the CBF. The Yamaha YBR is worth looking at too.

The Duke is a sexy little bike but it tends to get stolen a lot so the insurance can be a bit expensive.

Reply to this Topic
Vicstress

Apr 13

Vicstress says:

Got my Bike

Thanks guys....ended up going for a Van Van in the end....I'm in no  rush to bomb around and want something forgiving and easy on the eye....got a bargain too!  Thanks for all your help.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices