Skip to content

Discuss This You Ask/You Answer: Should I carry a pillion? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You Ask/You Answer: Should I carry a pillion?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You Ask/You Answer: Should I carry a pillion?

"I passed my direct access two months ago and have been riding every day since. I am confident commuting to work and riding on local roads but I am worried about taking a pillion. "I have been able to put off my nagging girlfriend because of the cold weather, but now it’s getting warmer I’m running out of excuses. I am...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 2 years ago (22 April 2013 14:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
StupidRider

Jul 09

StupidRider says:

Need a big bike?

Tried taking my 16stone bro on the back of my sv650, the suspension squatted down loads, I'm only 12 stone but seems this combined weight too much? Suspension doesn't seem work out or anything. Maybe you just need to be on a bigger bike...?

Reply to this Topic
tiagovsilva

Apr 13

tiagovsilva says:

pillion and weight

Hi.

Same problem here :)

I start riding motorcycles 8 years ago. From 125cc to 800cc, my present ride is a 2012 honda hornet 600cc.

I've never ride with a pillion, but want to start to ride with my wife.
She's 100kg and i have 80kg's.
In the past i've tried to ride with her, but after 50meters, i gave up. And the bike was bigger and heavier than my hornet.. a yamaha fz8.
The steering was to light. It seems that all weight was lifting my front wheel.

Now, i'm afraid to try again on my hornet.
Is this to much weight for a bike like this... or is just lack of confidence and practise?

Thanks in advance, 
Regards,
Tiago

Reply to this Topic
steviewo

Jun 12

steviewo says:

I went straight from passing my test to taking my wife on the back with no problem, it was our joint intention and in many ways we learned together. We chose a Triumph Sprint GT which I can get both feet on the floor and a top box to give her something to make her feel like she's not going to go off the back. I also wore a riding belt with grab handles, though we don't need this now, 2 years later. The key was to start of slowly, we rode up and down on an industrial estate on a Sunday with no-one around and did some small manouvres to both get comfortable, me with the extra weight, her with the fear factor before going out on the open road and then we only rode quiet lanes before finally venturing out on A roads and M ways, in all i'd say we took about a week to get through all of that. Then we did a trip to Amsterdam and one to Le Touquet before finally touring through France into Spain for 7 weeks, that was always our final objective and we did that 4 months after I passed, including some testing stuff in the Pyrenees. BTW, i'm 53 and she's 56 so we're neither of us spring chickens but we've loved all of it and we've done two big tours now with a third one planned. The weight can be an issue, not when you're up and riding but when you're in town traffic and especially when your lost and might need to change direction quickly while moving slowly, the key is to accept getting lost and embrace it as part of the experience, don't get stressed and just laugh about it if it takes you a while to find the right road. I agree with all the other points about signaling and insurance and stuff but mainly i'd say to go at it slowly, don't show off, don't worry if it takes time, just build up your confidence together and don't give yourself a glass ceiling, it's all perfectly possible. Have fun, you're doing something loads of people wish they were doing and you've no need to prove anything to anybody.

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

What the f**k?

What the fuck are you worried about? Is she huge? Shes huge isn't she. I bet she iz wel mingin'.

Reply to this Topic
craig1000

Sep 12

craig1000 says:

Tell her your licence is restricted for two years, before you can carry a pillion. and enjoy your self.

Reply to this Topic
captinktm

Jun 10

captinktm says:

should I carry a pillion

No! You are still learning to ride just because you have past a test does not mean you can ride. Build up your experience, get some miles under your belt. When you are confident in your own abilities then you can think about taking an experienced pillion on the back. You are responsible for your pillion, they have no control on the bike what so ever. I rode thousands of miles with a pillion and on some bikes I preferred it, has the bike handled better. You have to be smooth and ooze confidence, think even further ahead than normal, other wise your passenger will be put off for life. Taking a inexperienced pillion on the back at your level is asking for trouble!!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Check out the maximum load for your bike

Then tell her to lose some weight.  That always works out well.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

go for it. i took my wife to be on the back as a newish rider and it was great fun. i gave her the spare gear. she now has full gear.  my insurances comp ebike give me free pillion cover and i just put a bit more air in the tires and that was it.  i love going to up with her being doing it for years

Reply to this Topic
deaks25

Apr 09

deaks25 says:

The only way to build experience is to actualyl do something.

The best thing to do is put her on the back for a couple of short hops while you get used to how the bike feels. You should also learn how to adjust the pre-load on the rear to stop the bike squating.

Once you've built up the experience & confidence & she has leanred how to be a pillion (Yes there are things you should do/not do as a pillion), then consider longer days out.

The worst thing to do is just jump blindly in.

Reply to this Topic
ivanhoe

Mar 04

ivanhoe says:

Rudder Steering

My wife tries to steer from the pillion, she is leaning into a bend well before we get there.

Solo riding is the only way.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices